B&M HL or Eco HL?

I would also say economics. Even if you don't want to go into the field afterward, I think it's good to have an overview of what's happening around us (especially now with all the financial crises).

I also like it because our classes are pretty interactive. The teacher doesn't really teach...we discuss until we figure out the theory ourselves. But I guess that depends on the teacher...

i agree with all of you guys..

Economics contains harder math materials so it is considered harder than business. So universities value economics more than business.

But since business is easier than economics, it will be easier to get a higher grade too.

So it really depends on what you want to study.. i think either taking economics or business is okay..

I personally wanted to take economics, but then my school didn't offer economics so i'm taking business.. i wish i could have chosen between economics and business too~ :yahoo:

A lot of it depends on your teachers. If your school's Economics HL teacher is good, I would say Economics is a good option. It's hard to find good Economics teachers these days, apparently.

I take both Business HL and Economics HL, and they're both great fun. :D Business is more of real life applications, whereas Economics is more of the study of the things that go on in life. I'm not sure if that makes much sense to you, sorry! They're both a lot of work though, so you've got to really like them before choosing any one of them (read up on news, etc.)--but that's the same idea for any HL courses. I hope that helped you, good luck! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Im taking HL econ and i think that its a good choice

you just need to get into a different mindset when you study it, looking at things from different angles

Oh, and the commenaries are extremely important. Make sure to do them carefully, and dont choose a complex article, find something simple

most importantly a diagram is a friend use one whenever you can, in tests, quizes, and commentaries.

Hope this helps <_<

IB Econ has no math in it.

Exactly. I was wondering why people in this thread saying there's math in it and so on.

Economics in unis do have maths, naturally. But IB Economics has no math in it, you only have a couple of graphs that you need to get familiar with it.

Overall, I definatley think you should take economics. I'm taking it and I love it actually. It's easy when you understand it and very interesting. Plus unis prefer it more than business as other people have said.

• 5 years later...

well, business is just a straight forward course based on business strategies and organisation theories, eco is mainly about critial thinking... analyzing

i took both at HL

that's not true. i find business is harder due to its critical thinking.

econs is more of a logic, and how well u evaluate things.

econs > Bnm anytime. I studied 3 and a half days of business while exams approaching and only half a day for econs, and still i got 7 for econs and 5 for business :(

but bnm is useful (tho not preferred by uni) for careers like investment banking n such (cause we do this IA business recommmendation n such)

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

As a student who has done both IB BAM and ECO at higher level i think that take subjects you enjoy and are good with no point doing ECO HL if u get a 4 universities would prefer a 6 in BAM HL. Also generally it is easier and more enjoyable to take subjects you enjoy as it makes IB feel easier. 

In regards to IB BAM and Eco i found IB econ harder imo, as you had to really be specific and give examples of countries and policies and it was hard to know what they wanted, but with BAM you can pull an answer from the whole course to suit a question. For BAM the hard aspect for some students is that even you rote learn the course you are not guaranteed a 7 i would be surprised if you would get one. The hard part is that your answer has to relate to the case study if it doesn't relate then you won't get the marks. Also the final papers leave you hardly any time to think about your answer. You need to be able to pull ideas together after reading the case study only once and then have a balanced answer.

Whereas for eco rote learning the course can easily get you a 7 on paper 1 and 3 but in my opinion since you can't pull stuff from the whole course you need to know everything pretty well in order to do well in the papers. Although for HL there is a whole equations paper of basic math like simultaneous equations and finding % changes in specific things like real GDP.

• 3 weeks later...

I have both subjects ( Economics HL and Business SL), and to be completely honest I prefer Economics as it really helped me to understand how the economy works and what happens because of something. I personally believe that economics is the best basis you can have for business. Good luck choosing your subjects :)