Geography IA: Hypothesis

IBnJamSandwich

Hi! I was just wondering how the hypothesis of the geography IA is supposed to be like. Is it supposed to be one or two sentences in "if-then-because" format like the sciences? Are we supposed to find peer-reviewed sources for justification? Or is it just a paragraph of educated guesses on what will happen? Just in case, here is my final topic:

"How effective is the public bus transport system of X?"

Thanks!

Hey,

I took geography as an elective and I did my IA last year in grade 11! With geography, you need a spatial component. So I don't know if you went out and did fieldwork where you asked people to take surveys or something like that, but there needs to be a question posed like: "The main purpose of this internal assessment is to test the hypothesis that a coffee shop visited by a person and the distance traveled to it is directly related to how much money they earn." This was taken verbatim out of my IA, and I got a 5. So, the two questions relevant to my hypothesis that we asked random people on the street was:

1. How far did you travel to come to this coffee shop?

2. What is your income?

3. The brand/name of the coffee shop was also written down.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Hey,

I took geography as an elective and I did my IA last year in grade 11! With geography, you need a spatial component. So I don't know if you went out and did fieldwork where you asked people to take surveys or something like that, but there needs to be a question posed like: "The main purpose of this internal assessment is to test the hypothesis that a coffee shop visited by a person and the distance traveled to it is directly related to how much money they earn." This was taken verbatim out of my IA, and I got a 5. So, the two questions relevant to my hypothesis that we asked random people on the street was:

1. How far did you travel to come to this coffee shop?

2. What is your income?

3. The brand/name of the coffee shop was also written down.

Hope this helps!

Thanks! Mine's pretty general, so I have two hypotheses which are "the public bus transit system is not used enough by the population and the routes are not efficient enough for the population to use", in a nutshell. I found primary data by counting people on the bus routes in weekday and weekend mornings and evenings and collected some qualitative data by surveying and finding out which routes people use more frequently and if they find the routes sufficient. Do I need to back these hypotheses up with peer-reviewed sources?

Edited by IBnJamSandwich

For my IA, I didn't have any peer-reviewed sources, honestly I didn't have any sources at all because I made all the graphs, charts, tables, and I also made the map on which my streets were labelled on using Google Maps. You can of course, informally compare ideas with your peers but check with your teacher if he/she wants them for sure. I am quite confident in saying that IB doesn't need peer-reviewed sources.

For my hypothises I added a sentence explaining why I though they would be what i though they would be. For me that was to link it to the bradshaw model (rivers). I dont think you need peer reviewed sources. The focus of the IA is on primary research so what sources you use dont seem to matter that much.