Extended Essay, Biology Vs Chemistry

Novacane14

Hello!

I registered on ibsurvival after several recommendations from my classmates.. Any ways: I am currently studying in Sweden (Ib, DP 1) and today we were introduced to the EE (general overview). I had been thinking about it since before and the choice of the subject is now between Chemistry and Biology.

To make this easier for any one who might see this: I am taking HL at both Chemistry and Biology, these are my strongest subjects and I am interested in both (equally). Though to be more specific:

I am interested in Human physiology, Medicine and drugs,Neurology, Biochemistry amongst others.

It is not wrong to start now especially due to my preferences and I will look for the relevant sources as soon as I decide what to write about.

I would appreciate all recommendations, tips etc.

Thank you!

You could do biology EE about biological side of abusing drugs- how it influences human body or why people get addicted at all (but the second one is probably more psychological...)- I would actually love to read this kind of EE myself and I simply find it very interesting subject.

Whichever subject you decide to do, make sure it's something you can do an experiment on. Group 4 EEs that do not have an experimental component tend to do very poorly. Research-based Group 4 EEs and EEs based on another source's data overwhelmingly tend to get D's or worse. Ignore the part of the Group 4 section that says you can use outside data as long as you evaluate it properly, because it's basically a lie. You have to do an experiment. The experiment you decide to do has to follow some of the IBO's ethical policies, such as making sure no human or animal is harmed, you cannot draw blood, and you can't grow bacteria at human body temperature, amongst other things. For chemistry you're given a bit more free reign, but I think you can't use something that's extremely carcinogenic or dangerous unless you take precautions.

For interdisciplinary areas like biochemistry, you can't submit it as a biochemistry essay, only as either biology or chemistry. Whichever you submit it as, they will only mark the content that's related to that subject area (so if you did biochem and registered it as a chemistry EE, they will only mark your chemistry information and not your biological information). I'd advise against doing something like biochemistry unless you find a topic that has a LOT of biology and a small amount of relevant chemical information or vice versa, in which you'd submit it as whatever subject had the major focus.

Your experiment does not have to be complex, and you don't have to choose a really foreign abstract concept either. Keep it simple on yourself :)

• Like 1