English Language and Power - please help!

Guest ashika1235

Guest ashika1235

Hi, I have to do my second written task on the topic 'Language and Power' but I'm not interested in politics, speeches etc so could some please recommend a good speech I could do (besides speeches from obama and martin luther king) and an easy text type! Is there a text type where I can just analyse a speech?? Thanks

Roosevelt's speech just after Japan's attack on Pearl Harbour is good and straightforward. There are tons of examples easily available online -- have you looked`?

Richard Dawkins (Scientist)

Carl Sagan (Astronomer)

Margaret Atwood (Writer)

are just *three* recent non-political speakers.

How about some of the speeches given on TED? Be careful to make sure to distinguish between speech and talk. Know thy genre well!

Writers, artists, leaders, scientists, --- no shortage of speeches.. There are plenty of intriguing feminist speeches given on the topic of media and representation. You'll just love this one ; http://www.ibcando.com/?p=371

Good luck!

Edited by Blackcurrant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speech_to_the_Troops_at_Tilbury

I'd pick that one. The motive is obvious, the intent is obvious, the language is obvious in terms of what it is trying to portray, it's pretty damn famous and also fairly brief. Also in my opinion it's much more effort to do a modern day speech! Not when history has everything nicely laid out for you :P

Modern day speech is so much less directly easy to pick apart. In my opinion!