Should Ukraine join the EU?

vals

Recently in my school there's been a lot of talk over Ukraine and whether this country should accept the deal that the EU has offered or not.

Personally, I believe that if Ukraine accepted to join the EU it'd gain access to many possibilities which would - although not immediately, in the long run - be advantageous to the country's economy: money funds to finance the building of new infrastructures, European control over social laws... Most importantly, considered that Europe has a tight grip on democratic principles, there's a big chance that the rights of Ukrainian citizens would be much more protected and taken into consideration that they are at the moment.

Additionally, as little as we know of what's really going on within the walls of the presidential office, Ukraine is definitely in a critical political situation right now: corruption, robbery, secret deals with Russia are just some of the items on Yanukovych's agenda.
Of course, these are only assumptions made on the basis of the information that we get from news broadcasting channels.

Feel free to express your opinion and to disagree with what I've stated above.

Edited by vals

I think the people are tired of corruption, and hiding things under the table, since there are massive demonstrations in Kiev and many other places. The question is whether the politicians want to listen to the public. I know EU can be benefitial in so many ways but it will take a long time for Ukraine to be accepted in the EU. I cannot see any problem why they want to be part of EU. It is like Cold War all over again.Ukraine can be a member in the long run, because last year Croatia became the member of the EU. This really surprises me because their economy is weak at the moment and corruption is still present, even Serbia is closer now to EU even though they are treating fx people from Kosovo really badly, but they promised they want to improve it, that what they said officially. Let's hope they mean it. Anyway, I think it is up to Ukrainien people what is best for them and hopefully they can have an election without corruption.

Personally I think that the Ukraine should join the EU if only to distinguish itself as an independent state with democracy and transparency. Right now it is something of the bitch of Russia. Russia is very powerful, an immediate neighbour, a big trading partner for the Ukraine and has many good qualities, but in terms of corruption, democracy, freedom of speech etc. it's a fairly crazy place and it's capable of putting a lot of pressure on the Ukraine. Having another country able to dictate what happens in your country is not a cool state of affairs.

But as you said, all my information is based on the news as well! So I have to assume they're telling us the right stuff. Also, in terms of prosperity, I don't think that membership of the EU will guarantee the Ukraine that much necessarily. You have only to look at the Euro crisis etc. to see that the EU isn't exactly in the best place, whereas Russia is certainly well off.

It also assumes that the politicians would go along with a democratic frame of mind, and I don't think that is guaranteed.

Of course. And Russia should as well.

:shifty:

Hmm do I sense some irony? :teehee:

Well, there have been speculations of Russia possibly joining the EU itself (as crazy as this may sound, I know), but I don't believe they are to be taken seriously... Come on, it's Russia. Western Europeans have been fighting over land and resources against Russians for centuries. In my opinion Russia considers it enough already to be in the Council of Europe.

Never mind Russia tho, it shouldn't put its metaphorical nose into Ukraine's internal affairs.

Ukraine should regain its dignity as a free country.

Of course. And Russia should as well.

:shifty:

Hmm do I sense some irony? :teehee:

Well, there have been speculations of Russia possibly joining the EU itself (as crazy as this may sound, I know), but I don't believe they are to be taken seriously... Come on, it's Russia. Western Europeans have been fighting over land and resources against Russians for centuries. In my opinion Russia considers it enough already to be in the Council of Europe.

Never mind Russia tho, it shouldn't put its metaphorical nose into Ukraine's internal affairs.

Ukraine should regain its dignity as a free country.

With countries in the East attaining Great Power status (China is already there, India will soon - they are increasing military spending that it's not even fun, they have a growing population that may surpass China's in a decade or so, the economy has reached (or even surpassed) some of the G7 members and is still growing, as long as they will provide good education and lower poverty to acceptable rates (yes, it's sad how I am putting it, but there is poverty even in the West...) they will surely challenge western dominance as well). Moreover, Japan is expanding, for the first time since WWII, its navy to decent levels (and Japan is surely an economical Great Power. Political, not so, but it may at will, as long as the political climate will be favourable - and it is, since the rearmament of China and India is forcing Japan to expand its armed forces as well, and moreover the US need a stable, powerful ally in the East - Japan fits well), and so is South Korea (Dokdo class Amphibious Assault Ships, and plans to build a true blue water navy in a decade - oh, and did I mention that Dokdo islands are actually contested between South Korea and Japan?). And don't rule out Pakistan (essentially a smaller, Muslim India) and potentially destabilising nations (Iran, North Korea). After the Cold War the focus is on the East, with many countries on the rising tide. Russia is surrounded by powerful, potentially hostile countries (China, Japan, USA) and as the USA are slowly moving their focus from Europe to Asia, it is not so surprising to imagine that Russia and Europe may be closer than ever. At the end of the day, culturally Russia is much closer to Europe than Asia, and the alliance would benefit both: Russia has unmatched natural resources (which Europe lacks) whilst Europe has enourmous know how that may allocate those resources very well. With a democratisation of Russia, EU membership is the next, logical step. And a federated Europe should soon follow (actually, political union should have followed monetary union immediately, but that is a different story).

So yes, I strongly advocate Russian EU membership as soon as the old foxes in the Kremlin will step down :)

Edited by Zarathustra