Written Task 2

Hello All,

In written task 2, the question I chose is " If the text had been written in a different time or place or language or for a different audience, how and why might it differ?"

For this question, I took the book " Streetcar Named Desire".

I've decided to change the temporal setting.

Streetcar Named Dersire is set in Post - Great depression and Post- World War 2 time period. Now, What if the play was set in the 21st century? Can someone give me some tips on how I should proceed with the question?

Thank you for your help.

I'll take a crack at this.

Consider the cultural references that Williams makes in his play. The setting of the story is very-American. What changes if the story takes place in Europe/Asia/Africa?

It has been a while since I've read this, so I can't think of specific examples on the top of my head. Also consider various stereotypes that are shown, and think about how different paradigms/time periods may model different kinds/types of characters. How are women and men portrayed in the play? (Blanche and Stella are good starting points)

Even consider the "Streetcar" that is used as a metaphor in the play. How may its significance change depending on the language/audience/time period/setting?

Furthermore, the effects of the depression can be easily seen through the narrative. Consider how the story and the characters will change if the setting was in the 2000s.

The second suggestion (audience) is also interesting. This play is quite sexually suggestive and most likely intended for older audiences. Consider how the book would change and how Williams may have to shift his words in order for his book to be appropriate for all ages, etc., and you can analyse the significance of some of the sexually suggestive themes and scenes in the plot.

Edited by by.andrew