Paper 1 Course IB Application Issue - URGENT!

william4

Hi All,

I found out I was registered last year for Peacekeeping-peacemaking by my school to the IBO instead of Arab-Israeli conflict (paper 1).

This completely goes against what we 'agreed' upon last year and I always thought the option for Arab-Israeli was open. I really cannot do Peacekeeping as I was totally prepared and been practicing for the Israeli-Arab conflict and am now panicking.

My teacher said "there is no way you can do the Arab-Israeli conflict now as you were registered as peacekeeping to the IB". He said also said that because of that only peacekeeping/peacemaking papers will be sent to my school in May.

Is there anyway to change this?

Edited by william14

I would consider myself far from an expert on details of IB registration, but I think that you do have a chance to change your registration. I remember that when we were given a copy of the subjects we were registered for, our IBC told us to check every detail in case we had to change anything. That implies that there is a window of opportunity to change subjects incorrectly registered for. In our case, that was a good thing, because we got registered for the wrong Group 1 exams at first but we did end up sitting the right exams in the end.

So, I think that your IBC should actually be able to change the registration, but I'm not sure whether the date for that has already passed for the May 2014 exams. I'm fairly sure that some kind of document exists outlining these dates online, but I can't seem to find it - that would probably be really useful for you to provide as evidence as to when you can/cannot change subject registrations.

In terms of whether you think that your teachers will actually help you change your registration if it's possible, I think that unless they want you not to do well in history, it's pretty much in their interest to help you change your registration. There seemed to be a pretty strong agreement there with your history teacher, but maybe there was some confusion or accidental oversight.

But if you are pushed to the final resort of doing the peacemaking, peacekeeping, I think it may be possible to salvage it in the 4 months until final exams. Paper 1 is never really content heavy - I found that it was better to spend time practising past papers to nail the format of the 1-hour paper rather than learning more content. If you did Causes, Practices and Effects of War (Topic 1) for Paper 2, I've heard that some of the League of Nations and inter-war content can carry through into this particular Paper 1 option, so hopefully that will help. Having said that though, this change will require a lot more studying.

I hope it all works out! I loved History Paper 1 and particularly the Arab-Israeli option - it wasn't just my favourite part of history (not hard for it to be considering the train-wreck that was my P2), but it was one of the topics that I most liked learning in IB. Best of luck.

• Like 3

Hi flinquinnster,

Thanks for the detailed response. It gives me some relief knowing that the possibility exists however it might be different or rather more difficult to change registration as it's the changing of course within a specific subject rather than the subject itself. Nonetheless, I spoke with both my teacher and IBO coordinator none of whom did not show much sympathy and seemed rather very strict about it, maybe it's because they do not want to go through the hassle of speaking with the IBO but I'm not too sure why.

I understand that you aren't an expert but what can I do about it? Would you recommend contacting the IBO myself and explaining the situation? I feel that the more I wait the more worse the situation will become. Thanks.

Edited by william14

Hm, I'm not actually sure about changing details within a subject, but you should be able to. One would think that it would be easier, in fact, then actually changing a whole subject?

However, if your IBC isn't really wanting to pursue the action required for a potential change, then it could be much more difficult. I'm not sure if you can actually contact the IBO and get them to do anything, but it's worth a try. Again, there might have to be some thorough internet research to find the appropriate contact details - I suspect that they have quite a few phone numbers/email addresses, but they might not be able to get you anywhere.

It's definitely worth a try to contact them directly, but I suspect that it might be impossible to actually change anything without the help and consent of your IBC. If it's like everything else in the IB - for instance, access to candidate numbers and pins - then a lot of that is dependent on the IBC. So, in case this doesn't work out, I think that you should be prepared for a situation where changing the paper 1 registration isn't possible, unfortunately.

What about talking to the person at your school who is in charge of registering you all in for exams? Our IB Examination Officer sent out a list of the 6 subjects we'd been registered in for exams and told us to go to her immediately if anything on the list was wrong. Go to your school's examination officer, they should be able to do something to help :)