Anyone applied to or got accepted into a New Zealand University?

CCLemon

Hello!

I'm thinking of applying to New Zealand universities (especially Otago University) but I want to know around how many IB points is actually required. On the website they stated from 26-28 points but the course I'm thinking of is very competitive and 'limited' (it's a biomedical/health sciences course) so I'm assuming that they would in the end accept a student with a much higher IB point :) . Does anyone know a person who got accepted or applied to the course? If so, how many IB points did they have around?

Thank you! :)

[url="http://www.otago.ac.nz/study/entrance/adeundemstatum.html#entrance"]http://www.otago.ac.nz/study/entrance/adeu...m.html#entrance[/url]

(iii) International Baccalaureate (IB)

To be eligible for admission you will need to gain the IB Diploma (24 points minimum).

I would say that if you receive 30 on the IB diploma you would have a very very good chance of gaining admission.

However entry into medicine, it is solely based on the results of your first year and only a handful of internationals would be accepted.

I am from New Zealand, so any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

[quote name='Forester' post='19774' date='Jul 14 2008, 03:53 PM']Next march? At least you are coming to NZ :) [/quote]

A long overdue plan :) I might be coming sooner in October to pass the time by doing a ticketing course.

Hey!!!
I am doing the IB diploma right now in New Zealand!

To get into Auckland Uni which is the best in NZ you need to get a MINIMUM of 24 for degrees like Music/Art, 27 for Commerce/Law, 28 for Healthcare, 31 for Engineering, 34 for conjoint degrees that include Engineering!

All the other Universities such as Otago or Waikato require a point of 24.

Remember, these are the minimum requirements.
You also need to take the UMAT (it's a bit like BMAT in UK) IF you want to do a medical degree
Good Luck
and
Welcome to New Zealand

Thank you for replying to my post everyone! :D

My first choice is definitely Otago University because I want to try for the 2nd year professional course. But does anyone know vaguely how many international students are accepted into the first year course (i.e.: Health Science)? I asked the admissions person but he didn't know. :( Also how is the IB regarded in New Zealand? Because even though they said minimum entry requirement is 24 points, to enrol in the Health Science (which is a 'limited entry' course), apparently it's 28 points, therefore would I have an ok chance if I have more than 30 points??? XD

Sorry for all these questions! :P

Personally I think New Zealand administration does not know how demanding the IB course is compared with the national curriculum. Therefore there might be a chance you won't be accepted with a 30. However if you have more than 30 points, I would say you are in.