Can I get into PPE at Oxford (with these subjects?)

sarahh

I've just started the International Baccalaureate, and I'm quite passionate about the subjects Philosophy, Politics and Economics. However, I am worried that my subject combination might prevent me from getting in, as I am not studying History or Mathematics at higher level (as I believe they recommend on the Oxford website.)

My subjects are:

HL Economics

HL Art

HL English

HL Physics (probably going to drop to Standard Level)

SL Maths

SL Spanish ab initio

Ignoring the other factors (intelligence, passion for your subject etc.) that contribute to being accepted by Oxford, would these subjects allow me to be accepted into Philosophy, Politics and Economics?

Directly taken from the PPE- Oxford university website: http://www.ppe.ox.ac.uk/index.php/applying-for-ppe

• IB: A total score of at least 39 points including core points, with 7, 6, 6 in subjects taken at the Higher level

You may apply for PPE having done any combination of subjects at school; it is not necessary to have studied Politics, Philosophy or Economics. History and Mathematics are useful backgrounds, but are not essential.

Although a background in Mathematics is not formally required for admission, PPE applicants should have sufficient interest in, and aptitude for, Mathematics to cope with the mathematical elements of the course. Mathematics is a particular advantage for the Economics component of the course, as well as for the first year logic course in Philosophy, and for understanding theories and data in Politics. It is useful to have learnt the basics of differentiation before starting your university course in PPE.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've just started the International Baccalaureate, and I'm quite passionate about the subjects Philosophy, Politics and Economics. However, I am worried that my subject combination might prevent me from getting in, as I am not studying History or Mathematics at higher level (as I believe they recommend on the Oxford website.)

My subjects are:

HL Economics

HL Art

HL English

SL Maths

SL Spanish ab initio

Ignoring the other factors (intelligence, passion for your subject etc.) that contribute to being accepted by Oxford, would these subjects allow me to be accepted into Philosophy, Politics and Economics?

I think doing math HL will make you more competitive...

I got a friend who predicted 41 points with HL math and economics ended up being rejected.

Your personal statement and interview are also very important*

My subjects are:

HL Economics

HL Art

HL English

SL Maths

SL Spanish ab initio

Yes, they will. As Fiz has quoted above, there are no subjects that are required for PPE. Of course, if you've got a option of taking history, economics, mathematics, etc at higher level, and you take none of them, the question of whether you are really interested in PPE might be raised. You've got Economics HL though, so I think that's fine. 

At interview, I felt that knowledge of economics was essential - either by self studying or by doing it as a subject in IB. 

• Like 1

I'm taking 

Math HL

Eco HL

Physics HL

Eng Lang and Lit SL

German Anticipated SL

History SL

Any idea what score I should be aiming for (obviously 38+)

Apparently they accept 7 6 6 for the HL's, but do you think that the required 7 will be in Math HL or Eco HL?

It seems to me like Oxford is generally a bit lax with the whole "highly specific academic criteria" thing, unlike LSE. I think (especially for PPE, which doesn't really have any required subjects) they're fine with you getting a 7 in either math or econs, so long as you meet the minimum points total and the HL points requirement. 7s in both would obviously be better :D

• Like 1