Do you need to be really good at math to take Chemistry SL?

kenyat98

I'm trying to decide what science to take in the IB diploma program.

It'd probably make the most sense to take ESS (Environmental Systems and Studies) or Biology, since I'm not good at math, but I don't find those subjects very interesting and, from what I hear, they're very content-based (involve lots of memorization and such). I'm going to take HL English, Art and History, which are also heavy with content, so I don't want to be too overwhelmed with having to memorize stuff.

I think Chemistry is really interesting but, like I said, I suck at math. It's not that I don't like math, I'm just not a mathematically-inclined person.. at all, unfortunately.

So, how much math is involved in Chemistry SL? Would I be better off taking Biology or ESS? Any advice you could give me on this would be very much appreciated. :)

There is some maths involved in Chemistry SL - there's a topic called quantitative chem based around some calculations.. and in the IAs you've got to do calculations for your DCP.. but I think you should be able to manage even if you're not a very mathematically-inclined person. For 2 of the 3 papers you can use your calculator as well, and even though there are calculations in chem, it's based upon understanding the chemistry formulas and knowing how to use them. There were people in Maths Studies in my Chem SL class and I believe they were fine.

As you said you don't find Biology or ESS very interesting, then I think you'd be ok with Chem - it makes more sense to do a subject you'll enjoy more as you'll probably end up putting more effort into it? I guess you may or may not run into some challenging problems here and then, but if you're willing to work them through then it sounds like you'd be ok in chem. Hope this helps :)

Chemistry Maths is very basic, especially considering that you want to do SL. I don't know about ESS but you need to know Statistics etc for Bio

Edited by ryuk1