SL Chemistry or Biology

Pink97

I need to choose between SL chemistry and biology for my science course, i'm taking both of them now (IGCSE) and am getting A/A*'s in both, However, my current biology teacher is very harsh and give us notoriously hard tests, which puts me off from the subject - but i do enjoy the course nevertheless. Plus, since i've had a great biology teacher for the past 3 years, my base is strong as she has even taught us some a level biology throughout the IGCSE course. On the other hand, i've had a bad chemistry teacher for the past year and half, but i still manage to do well in the class.

Since, i don't prefer one over the other its really hard to choose which to take - i also won't be needing either for my intended majors (finance/politics/international relations). I don't mind taking chemistry if it involves a lot of maths (maths one of my strongest subjects, if not my strongest) and the concepts aren't hard to grasp. And i won't mind taking biology, if it is interesting - i really don't like the plant aspect of biology though, is there a lot of it? Memorization is my strength so i probably won't have that big a problem with biology. When i looked at the stats bulletin for May 2013, more people got 7's in chemistry than biology - how is that possible? Considering biology is supposedly the easiest science.

If it helps my other subjects are:

HL - Maths (will probably drop to SL), Economics, English Lang/Lit and Global Politics

SL - Spanish Ab initio

Which science do you think i should take?

Edited by pink97

I need to choose between SL chemistry and biology for my science course, i'm taking both of them now (IGCSE) and am getting A/A*'s in both, However, my current biology teacher is very harsh and give us notoriously hard tests, which puts me off from the subject - but i do enjoy the course nevertheless. Plus, since i've had a great biology teacher for the past 3 years, my base is strong as she has even taught us some a level biology throughout the IGCSE course. On the other hand, i've had a bad chemistry teacher for the past year and half, but i still manage to do well in the class.

Since, i don't prefer one over the other its really hard to choose which to take - i also won't be needing either for my intended majors (finance/politics/international relations). I don't mind taking chemistry if it involves a lot of maths (maths one of my strongest subjects, if not my strongest) and the concepts aren't hard to grasp. And i won't mind taking biology, if it is interesting - i really don't like the plant aspect of biology though, is there a lot of it? Memorization is my strength so i probably won't have that big a problem with biology. When i looked at the stats bulletin for May 2013, more people got 7's in chemistry than biology - how is that possible? Considering biology is supposedly the easiest science.

If it helps my other subjects are:

HL - Maths (will probably drop to SL), Economics, English Lang/Lit and Global Politics

SL - Spanish Ab initio

Which science do you think i should take?

Alright, as far as I understand : "Memorization is my strength" , "my base is strong as she has even taught us some a level biology". It feels like you are one of the students who will have an easy time getting a 7 in biology. Biology is way easy! if memorizing is your passion then go for that. You are basically telling yourself that you would love to have biology. haha

An idea: look at the syllabus then see what you know from before in biology. If the terms and all those things seem easy to you then go for biology.

"When i looked at the stats bulletin for May 2013, more people got 7's in chemistry than biology - how is that possible? Considering biology is supposedly the easiest science. " I think that most people think that biology is easy and they don't prepare that much and get shock when they get their papers. According to my experience, chemistry is harder than biology.

There isn't that much plant science in Bio SL, only plant cells so that shouldn't be a problem. If your strength is memorising definitely take bio. It is easier than chemistry but it can take up a lot of your time (which is probably why people got higher grades in chemistry). Since neither sciences are relevant to your university course go for the one which will get you the highest grade. For what you've said bio is definitely the right choice.

• 2 weeks later...

I do HL chem and bio, and I'd say go for chemistry.

SL Chemistry is -- with regards to content -- similar to IGCSE with some chapters, and quite a cakewalk. Also, chemistry IAs (lab reports) are a whole lot less annoying than biology ones.

If you're worried about your bad teacher, you can use Richard Thornley's videos on YouTube to help you out, he makes videos for each syllabus statement and they're really helpful. PatrickJMT would be the go-to guy for Math, along with KhanAcademy.

• Like 1

SL Chemistry is -- with regards to content -- similar to IGCSE with some chapters, and quite a cakewalk. Also, chemistry IAs (lab reports) are a whole lot less annoying than biology ones.

If you're worried about your bad teacher, you can use Richard Thornley's videos on YouTube to help you out, he makes videos for each syllabus statement and they're really helpful. PatrickJMT would be the go-to guy for Math, along with KhanAcademy.

Thanks for the advice but i decided i'd rather take Biology (HL and i'm just going to drop english to SL) instead of chemistry plus the biology teacher is apparently really good where as the chemistry teacher gets a lot of complaints from students (according to my IB coordinator).

There isn't that much plant science in Bio SL, only plant cells so that shouldn't be a problem. If your strength is memorising definitely take bio. It is easier than chemistry but it can take up a lot of your time (which is probably why people got higher grades in chemistry). Since neither sciences are relevant to your university course go for the one which will get you the highest grade. For what you've said bio is definitely the right choice.

Such a relief (that there isn't a lot of plants). Is it the same with HL Biology as i've decided to take it instead?

Edited by pink97

Guest ryuk1

Thanks for the advice but i decided i'd rather take Biology (HL and i'm just going to drop english to SL) instead of chemistry plus the biology teacher is apparently really good where as the chemistry teacher gets a lot of complaints from students (according to my IB coordinator).

If you were taking SL I'd say go for Bio but if you're going to take HL go for Chem or any non-Bio HL. (HL Bio dropout advice)

If you were taking SL I'd say go for Bio but if you're going to take HL go for Chem or any non-Bio HL. (HL Bio dropout advice)

I though of taking HL Chemistry but i decided against it since i've lately become really interest in psychology (although i've always wanted to major in finance), which requires HL Biology. I really don't mind taking either as i find both really interesting.

I have question if you don't mind: If i haven't taken physics for IGCSE have i ruled out science courses that involve biology/chemistry at good unis (US?Canada not interested in the UK)? I take both biology and chemistry IGCSE though - i'll always regret taking art instead of physics :/

Edited by pink97

Guest ryuk1

I though of taking HL Chemistry but i decided against it since i've lately become really interest in psychology (although i've always wanted to major in finance), which requires HL Biology. I really don't mind taking either as i find both really interesting.

I have question if you don't mind: If i haven't taken physics for IGCSE have i ruled out science courses that involve biology/chemistry at good unis (US?Canada not interested in the UK)? I take both biology and chemistry IGCSE though - i'll always regret taking art instead of physics :/

Well if you want to apply to US, I don't think that you even need a science for psychology. I have no IGCSE experience except English Lang&Lit which was obligatory and all people I know are applying to US with SAT subject tests, AP or IB. I don't know anyone who is applying to US with IGCSE results, but I don't think that there should be a problem as long as you take the required IB lessons. But I'd still suggest you to ask this to someone who knows