Have to write an analysis on a article, help!

Well you should of cource start reading it first, and then see what it says in the article. Then from that i would start with making some diagrams which relate to the article. Just explain the text using the diagrams, it is not much more than that. Then structure it like any essay.

P.S. do not forget to evaluate at the end of the commentary

I would always start by explaining the title and giving definitions of words IN the title. For example:

Business management for the lower sub-prime mortgage rates (I made it up)

You'd define the lower sub-prime mortgage rates and then summarise how business management affects them (or something like that)

• 5 weeks later...

Assuming this is for economics... this may help. I know it helped me on my exam and final commentary; pity I didn't find it earlier. :bawling:

The basic gist of the file:

1. SHORT TERM versus LONG TERM implications

2. Effects on different STAKEHOLDERS

3. Prioritise the ARGUMENTS

4. Question VALIDITY of a theory/data presented

Edited by moneyfaery

• 3 weeks later...

First thing to do.

grab a highlighter and a pencil .

start highlighting all the economic aspects of the article, particular words or phrases that may refer to an economic concept. for e.g. demand, opportunity cost, etc.

try establishing some sort of logic in what you've selected and write in, with the pencil, stuff like cause, consequence, description, effects, etc stuff that refer to connections between what you've highlighted already.

check if you don't have too many topics to talk about (the article may be very broad) and if so, select the few paragraphs you're going to base your analysis on.

start typing away! of course, remember that when you're talking about the economic concepts mentioned above, add in graphs and explain them as well!

hope that helped

cheers,

B

P.S. do not forget to evaluate at the end of the commentary

Evaluate whenever you can, not just at the end! Though I always concluded with hardcore evaluation, don't leave it exclusively for the end.

Look at samples and ask people who finished IB. That's how I learned structure for mine.

Try this, the 4 levels.

Level 1: Defining

This would involve defining relevant terms, this is always necessary.

Level 2: Applying

This would involve applying the concepts, such as explaining why action A will have a result B and so on, using economic models.

Level 3: Analysis

This involves talking about advantages and disadvantages of whichever course of action was taken, or you suggest should be taken.

Level 4: Evaluation

This involves talking about the short term v the long term, how this affects different stakeholders, offering alternate solutions and weighing up the benefits against the costs.

Keep those in mind, make sure to include them, and you should do just fine.

I agree with this method, it's what our Economics teacher suggested and he has been an IB Economics examiner for a few years now. The terms are definitely necessary, don't assume that the moderator knows them (even though he does). But when you give your definition, try to change it a little from the textbook one. Our teacher told us that some examiners have actually deducted points from the final exam/commentaries because they thought that the essay sounded too much like the person memorized the textbook and just spouted it all out on the page.

Ridiculous that you get penalized for actually remembering exact definitions. This shows that you're smart, and even if you aren't, they will see this later if you can't apply your memorized concepts to various economic situations.

• 4 weeks later...