Several questions on Group 6 in general

Guest NapWar

Guest NapWar

Hey guys, I've never really done an Arts subject in my life, be it music or theatre, but the idea of learning one really interests me! Being completely new to this though, I have several questions.

1) How do colleges in the US view Arts subjects? Would the top tier schools prefer you to have gone with a subject in another group? Also, is there a particularly respected subject in the group?

2) As a complete beginner to anything related to Art, which subject would be considered the easiest? Is it challenging to get a 7 in one? Do you recommend I go with another subject from a different group instead?

More to come with responses, probably! And any help is greatly appreciated :D

1. It depends on which course you want to apply for at uni. Group 6 subjects can look very good on your application but your subject selection must target the subject you want to study later on. For example if you want to do engineering (I'm talking about Ivy League) you have to have math physics and chemistry HL, therefore you can't have an art. On the other hand if you want study law the important thing is that you have subjects that develop your argumentative skills, once you have english HL and a social science having an art will make you loo like a well rounded person, which is always good. As you can see it really depends on what you want to study later on . In general it never hurts to have an art as long as your subject selection targets your chosen course. Art, music and theatre (not that much theatre actually) are the most respected subject.

2. There's no way you can take music or art if you're a beginner. Theatre is the easiest option. There is dance and film studies as well but they aren't seen as good subjects (except if you want to study film later on). If you are a complete beginner yes it would be challenging to get a 7 but it is doable.

As for my recommendation again, it depends! If you specify what your future goal is I can give you more useful advice.

Guest NapWar

1. It depends on which course you want to apply for at uni. Group 6 subjects can look very good on your application but your subject selection must target the subject you want to study later on. For example if you want to do engineering (I'm talking about Ivy League) you have to have math physics and chemistry HL, therefore you can't have an art. On the other hand if you want study law the important thing is that you have subjects that develop your argumentative skills, once you have english HL and a social science having an art will make you loo like a well rounded person, which is always good. As you can see it really depends on what you want to study later on . In general it never hurts to have an art as long as your subject selection targets your chosen course. Art, music and theatre (not that much theatre actually) are the most respected subject.

2. There's no way you can take music or art if you're a beginner. Theatre is the easiest option. There is dance and film studies as well but they aren't seen as good subjects (except if you want to study film later on). If you are a complete beginner yes it would be challenging to get a 7 but it is doable.

As for my recommendation again, it depends! If you specify what your future goal is I can give you more useful advice.

I'm not quite sure what I want to do in the future, and it's part of the reason I'm going IB over A levels. I really love the idea of becoming an author but I don't know if I have what it takes to make it big. I'm good at sciences so I was planning to take something like Biochemistry or Biotechnology for my undergrad. I want to make medicines. Supposedly Biomedical engineering might be what I'm looking to do. But eh, I don't know. I'd really love to be an author.

Well there is no doubt that for biochemistry you have to take a double science. Top universities will expect you to have math HL as well. To become an author you don't really need arts. You need english literature HL. Don't take arts if you've never done them especially since they're not really relevant to your choices. Yes an art would look good for a language agree but it's no where near essential, on the other hand, for biochemistry you have to have a double science if you want to get into top universities. I know it's always a hard choice…we had to make it

good luck

Guest NapWar

Well there is no doubt that for biochemistry you have to take a double science. Top universities will expect you to have math HL as well. To become an author you don't really need arts. You need english literature HL. Don't take arts if you've never done them especially since they're not really relevant to your choices. Yes an art would look good for a language agree but it's no where near essential, on the other hand, for biochemistry you have to have a double science if you want to get into top universities. I know it's always a hard choice…we had to make it

good luck

Thank you so much for your advice! It's true, there seems to be no sense taking an Art subject. Oh well, haha. I know this isn't exactly the relevant subforum for this, but now that you've recommended double sciences, which two do you suggest. Maybe Biology and Chemistry, both also at HL?

You're welcome! Yes absolutely no doubt, biology chemistry and math HL if you can would be the most desirable combination. If you really really really don't want to give english up you can take 4 HL but I would only recommend it if you are fully committed to and enjoy all the subjects you're taking at HL. I know a lot of people scare you off about math HL but it really is doable. Very demanding but doable, don't let anyone discourage you because it will make a huge difference.

• Like 1

Just a side-note here: participate in an out-of-school art class for CAS. It will be fun for you to start your new interest as a hobby, and there would be less pressure on you in that sense as you'd be doing it for fun, rather than having to worry about IB examinations and such for that class :)

• 3 months later...

Just a side-note here: participate in an out-of-school art class for CAS. It will be fun for you to start your new interest as a hobby, and there would be less pressure on you in that sense as you'd be doing it for fun, rather than having to worry about IB examinations and such for that class :)

So the out-of-school classes can count for CAS? It really surprise me because I am thinking of taking an extracurricular art class, I am taking IB VizArt as HL though...

So the out-of-school classes can count for CAS? It really surprise me because I am thinking of taking an extracurricular art class, I am taking IB VizArt as HL though...

as long as it's not to do with your IB art course (i.e. extra art classes to help with your art course) then it should be fine :)

as long as it's not to do with your IB art course (i.e. extra art classes to help with your art course) then it should be fine :)

Thanks alot!  :blowkiss:

Thanks alot!  :blowkiss:

no problem :)

Well I want to study anything related to creativity (which include arts, music, theatre, film, etc), so basically yeah, it depends on the career you choose. Let's say, I want to study graphic design (visual arts hl and maybe english will be the courses that need more effort), or lets say... architecture (physics, maths and maybe visual arts, mostly for people who have good drawing skills, will be the courses that need more effort), so yeah and also i would suggest a 6-7 of the courses that will help you grant access to a particular University.

My teacher actually told me that, apart from having a good IB diploma score, a good portfolio is crucial for admission with the visual arts course (if you want to study anything related to arts) and having at least a 6 or 7 in the final IB grade.

I think my answer was too biased, so consider it if you want...