Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Laura Swash

IB Diploma Psychology Revision questions

Welcome to a week of revision questions. Feel free to ask about anything else to do with IB Diploma Psychology.

Paper 1 short answer questions:

Which content, including a study, could you use to answer the following? (Answers tomorrow evening GMT - Tuesday)

1. Explain how one or more neurotransmitters affect human behaviour. (Biological LOA)

2. Outline one theory of how emotion may affect one cognitive process. (Cognitive LOA)

3. Describe one study relevant to social learning theory. (Sociocultural LOA).

I am very disappointed that nobody tried to answer this.

I suggest the following:

1. Say what neurotransmitters are. Choose one, say serotonin. (If the question had said two, you would have to choose two).

Study for serotonin - Kasamatsu and Hirai (1999)

2. Choose emotion and memory and use flashbulb memory - Brown and Kulik (1977). No need to evaluate for an SAQ.

3. State the theory behind SLT. Use Bandura et al (1961)

All of these studies are old ones - but the textbooks use them and they are classics. If you prefer, you can always go looking for newer ones.

1 person likes this

OK, here's today's question - maybe somebody will try and answer it? Below see an essay question from an exam paper. What are the main issues here? What could you have a discussion about?

Discuss the use of brain imaging technologies to investigate the relationship between biological factors and behaviour.

Hi, I'm in Psychology SL. Our class goes by the book "Levels of Analysis in Psychology", by Jennie Brooks Jamison. I feel that reading this should help me prepare for the exam, but I am not sure if it covers all the content necessary. For example, I am not sure I can answer any of your questions thoroughly enough. What is the best way to prepare for the IB Psychology SL Exam?

Thanks for your help!

I'll try to answer one of your questions... It's probably not great so please help me! :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Outline one theory of how emotion may affect one cognitive process. (Cognitive LOA)

One theory of how emotion may affect one cognitive process is the photographic theory of flashbulb memories. Brown and Kulik (1977) studied how flashbulb memories affect black and white Americans by asking them questions and looking at consequentiality and rehearsal. They thought that FB memories were strong because they elicitied a "Now Print!" neurophysiological mechanism. This mechanism must have evolved over time given the lack of mass media during the time of early humans. Surprise, consequentiality, and rehearsal strategies are important to registering FB memories in the brain. When there is a shock or surprise event, the memory of it is stored in the brain. These memories become flashbulbs primarily through the significance that is attached to them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know you said short answer, but I was not sure how to go about this. How many points is the question worth? Is there a "formula" for answering short-answer questions? Thank you!

1 person likes this

The short answer questions are worth 8 marks, and your teacher should have shared the IB Diploma Psychology guide with you so you can see the markscheme. This was quite a good answer. brown and Kulik's theory was that flashbulb memories were both more vivid and more accurate than "ordinary" memories. You confuse strong emotion at a memory with the presence of media. A flashbulb memory can be elicited by something as personal as your 4th birthday party, for example - it does not have to be a shared memory with a large number of people.

The book you are using is good for the levels of analysis, but I don't think it covers the options. You can always supplement it with the Crane and Hannibal IB Course Companion, or the Pearson Baccalaureate Psychology book by Law et al.

The best way to prepare for exams is to plan short answer questions and essay questions accroding to examples from the last few years' exam papers.