Biology Help Offering!

BioLuke

Hi Guys,

This is my first publication and after browsing your forums for some time I concluded not a lot of people offer help in biology on this site. I´m currently a Junior at a Private School in Cuba and last summer I attended a Summer Course at Harvard on Introductory Biology for Pre-Medical students. Consequently, most of the aspects covered in the syllabus (excluding topics like Ecology and Evolution and Plants) are of my upmost interest and I can safely brag of my knowledge.

I want to offer you guys a chance to ask any questions you guys want about biology and I will try my best to give you an eloquent answer and explanation so that you fully understand the topic at doubt.

Feel free to ask anything, especially from the Human Physiology units (Including Option H).

• Like 1

¿Cómo estás?

You are just the type of person I was looking for, as I am currently a sophomore taking Accelerated Biology. We have been registering for the classes we are to take next year, and I chose to study Chemistry HL, Physics HL, and Biology HL (I have taken all the classes necessary for graduation). I thought that this would be a wise decision since I am interested in majoring in the sciences and/or going to be a Pre-Medical student, but I am not so sure now- I really love art and I want to take Visual Arts IB. I have already taken Chemistry freshman year, and as I have already stated, I also would finish Biology by the end of this year, so Physics would be a good class to take because of the variety of science courses. I am aware that most people who are in my position are taking Biology and Chemistry, but I am more in favor of Physics than Biology just because of the foreign aspect it has, and my math skills. I am fairly capable in math; I take Precalculus as a sophomore. Incidentally, I am forced to choose two of the three science classes (I have decided to take Art). Can you please help me decide what to do as a Biology geek?(don't take it offensively please, my biology teacher is a biology geek too and I love her!) I feel that I may be biased against Biology because of the tests I had this week. In addition we don't even get to do fun labs like blood and urine testing as of the 1980s because of the health risk.

P.S. How did you apply to attend a Summer Course at Harvard? I need a good excuse to leave everyone I know.

P.S.S. My Spanish teacher from last year told be that Cubans have a Spanish dialect that sounds like they have a mouth full of cotton balls... Is that true, or do you not speak Spanish?

• Like 1

Hey Yaska,

As for your first comment, it depends on how strong is your biology. If, and only if, you have an amazing knowledge of biology that you could perhaps back up with an SAT II in Bio, the you should strengthen your physics and chem for college. Many people don´t know this but pre-med does require physics your first and second years of college. So take what you know you will enjoy, be it art or bio. If you have already finished your graduating requisites, your pretty much free to enhance your Transcript ad you find fit.

To apply for Harvard Summer Program you can go to this site: http://www.summer.harvard.edu/programs/secondary-school-program and apply from there. I believe they have financial aid for americans. As for an excuse to leave everyone you know during summer I decide it was better to spend 7 weeks at a world class university and cultivate you mind with challenging courses that help you college application and individuals as, or more, intelligent than me! It´s an awesome opportunity and I believe every high school student should give it a shot!

Now as for my spanish... HAHAHA! I do not speak like i have a mouth full of cotton balls! Some of the Cubans from the countryside do thou... I speak spanish, english and portuguese.

List of top pre-medical programs:

1)Harvard

2)Hopkins

3)MIT

4)Stanford

5)Yale

6)UPenn

And many more... like UCLA and Columbia.

Hope this comment was helpful!

Cheers mate!

Hey anaya.agrawal95,

Yes! i went there in 2013!! Best 7 weeks of my life thus far! Also, I am in the group on facebook! I wanted to go this summer and do Intro Chem, but I have deiced to do another program at another Stanford. This one is targeted at aspiring Cardiothoraccic surgeons (thats me!).

Take care!

Dear Luke,

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry I haven't responded earlier. Your advice helped with my decision to pursue Physics; I wasn't aware that so many pre-medical schools had that requirement. Anyways, I signed up for Chemistry and Physics and I am pleased. I will have art because my classes this year are pretty rigorous. I have heard of Hopkins, but I wasn't aware of its prestige, I searched it up and found out that U.S. News and Word Report ranked it number one for grad programs. It's also a nonprofit private research university which is pretty impressive, but I am sure you already knew that. I don't know why Harvard doesn't interest me... I am not really surprised it was first, but I thought their law program was more famous.

How and why do you know how to speak Portuguese that would only make more sense if you were a brasileño? However I am pretty sure Spanish and Portuguese are similar. Being multilingual is pretty cool I only know how to speak English and Somali and a little Spanish, but I am getting pretty good.

Thanks for your reply again,

Yasmin (Yaska=nickname)

Edited by Yaska