Help with IB course selection!

Macaroon

I need to make my course selection really soon and I do not know what I should pick...

So far, I have decided on some of my potential subjects, but I need your help to make my final decision.

The subjects I am considering are:

- English A Language and Literature (SL)

- Japanese A Language and Literature (SL/HL)

- Math (SL)

- Biology (HL)

- Chemistry (SL/HL)

- Geography (HL)

Please Help me!

Anything from your experience would be really really helpful. :surrender:

Edited by Macaroon

For medicine, you will need HL biology and HL chemistry. The rest of your subjects at whatever level are up to you. As long as you have HL bio and chem, you will be okay subject-wise. Depending on the country, you may need physics (typically places like Scandinavia and India), but if you were interested in the UK, US, Canada, etc you don't need physics.

For earthquakes, I will assume this is going to go under something like earth sciences or geology. These courses typically want physics and math, but at what level I don't know. Geography might be useful, but again I'm not sure.

How hard something is depends on your aptitude for the subject and how hard you're willing to work when you don't understand something. HL chemistry is one of the hardest subjects the IB offers, I'm not going to lie. However, it is not impossible to do well, and with work you can easily get at least a 5, and perhaps a 6 or 7 if you do really well. If you want to do medicine, you will want to do well in this. If you can't handle HL chem, then medicine will be very very very hard for you to handle.

HL biology is a lot of memorization. There is a lot of content, but if you can memorize it, you will be okay. Since you said you find it interesting, that will help with the amount of memorization you have to do.

I don't know how hard HL geography is because I didn't take it. However, I'm under the assumption it's not that bad at all. I did take a geography course in uni for a general education requirement (studied economic/social geography) and it was easy. But that's all I can really say about the subject :P

• 3 months later...