How much does the IA count towards our final IB grade?

green5

Guest B.E.P.

IAs count for 20% of your grade in Math HL. If you mean a 6 in the IAs, it would be hard to say because the syllabus changed for May 2014. However, looking at the old syllabus, a 30/40 was the lowest possible 6 in the IAs; which would be 15/20 for the new syllabus if it is kept the same.

The Mathematics HL IA is worth 20% of your final IB grade. Grade boundaries for the IA vary from year to year, and aren't accessible for the present IA as May 2014 are the first exams for which the new syllabus will be assessed. Generally, however, ~62/100 nets one a 6 in mathematics HL, and from the past IA 15/20 would seem to be a reasonable grade boundary for a 6 on the IA.

Edited by Rahul
  • Like 1

IAs count for 20% of your grade in Math HL. If you mean a 6 in the IAs, it would be hard to say because the syllabus changed for May 2014. However, looking at the old syllabus, a 30/40 was the lowest possible 6 in the IAs; which would be 15/20 for the new syllabus if it is kept the same.

I meant 6 in the overall grade. Do you happen to know it?

And also, if I get a 7 in the IA does that mean I will then have 20% in my grade before I even take the final exam?

And also, if I get a 7 in the IA does that mean I will then have 20% in my grade before I even take the final exam?

A 6 in overall grade generally approximates to low 60s/100.

Not quite. You will have your grade out of 20 as your grade for your IA: then, your exams will be taken into account. Let's say I receive a 19/20 on my IA and 65/80 on my exams: I will then receive 84/100 overall in the course.

Guest B.E.P.

It's really hard to determine that. You can get a 6 in the IAs and a 6 in the exams to get an overall grade of a 6. You could also get a 4 in the IAs and a 7 in the externals and get a 6 in the class. I know someone who got a 7 in the IAs and a 5 in the exams and got a 6 overall.

If you get a full score on your IA (not just a 7, as a 7 ranges from 35/40 to a 40/40), then you will theoretically have 20% of your grade before you even take the final exam. But you should also take into consideration that the IA might be moderated.