Math IA topic help.... Is this topic up to the level of Math SL

abdelrahman

I am starting my math IA I have decided to choose the Monty Hall Problem as my topic. I was thinking about explaining the Monty Hall Problem using conditional probability and then expand the Problem by trying it on more than three doors like for example four or five doors in order to try and find a trend or a sequence or a general equation.

Is this topic up to the level of the Math SL course and do you have any suggestions about things I should add to the IA.

Thank you, your help is really appreciated.

You can do your exploration on almost every topic. Personally I don't have too much knowledge about your topic. But I would suggest that you choose a topic where you can apply mathematics in it.

My exploration was about the tourism in south Egypt. Theoretically I wanted to know in which month more tourists visit south Egypt. though there are two main factors, the weather and the day duration. When the day duration (from sunshine/sunset) is long, more tourists would come. The same with the weather, if the weather is not very hot, more tourists would come.

In order to do this mathematically I used the Cobb-Douglas Production Function.

In other terms search for the topic you are interested in, state the main points of this topic and choose how do you want to go through it, using vectors, probability..etc

Note: The level of mathematics applied in your exploration MUST be in the same level of your Math course or higher, not less.

Best of Luck

Mostafa

• Like 1

I was actually going to do the Monty Hall problem, however when I emailed my teacher so ask if this was feasible, he said that it had a simple solution and that there are not many probabilities that can be used to explore the topic, so it probably was not feasible.

Good luck!

Edited by icippiis

I was actually going to do the Monty Hall problem, however when I emailed my teacher so ask if this was feasible, he said that it had a simple solution and that there are not many probabilities that can be used to explore the topic, so it probably was not feasible.

Good luck!

That's why I said the level of your exploration should be as the same level as your Maths Course (SL or HL) you can always do a higher level mathematics in your exploration. Make sure you read the criteria very well this will help. As soon as think of a topic ask your teacher for further tips OR you can submit your topic here and some people might suggest you some math topics.

Good Luck!

Mostafa

I believe you should probably go ask your teacher/or someone who can help you about this IA topic. Although my teacher told me to think about a new topic because he thought the Monty Hall problem would not work, your teacher may think differently, or a new option (as you said about expanding the problem) could also work out!

• 5 years later...
On 3/10/2014 at 3:20 AM, Mostafa Eldamaty said:

You can do your exploration on almost every topic. Personally I don't have too much knowledge about your topic. But I would suggest that you choose a topic where you can apply mathematics in it.

My exploration was about the tourism in south Egypt. Theoretically I wanted to know in which month more tourists visit south Egypt. though there are two main factors, the weather and the day duration. When the day duration (from sunshine/sunset) is long, more tourists would come. The same with the weather, if the weather is not very hot, more tourists would come.

In order to do this mathematically I used the Cobb-Douglas Production Function.

In other terms search for the topic you are interested in, state the main points of this topic and choose how do you want to go through it, using vectors, probability..etc

Note: The level of mathematics applied in your exploration MUST be in the same level of your Math course or higher, not less.

Best of Luck

Mostafa

Hi there! I am planning to do my HL IA on Cobb Douglas production function too but am unable to find an interesting real world application/problem to apply it to. Please can you suggest something and please may I look at your IA?