Single gender classes

missrunway

You can argue as much as you want that co-ed classes can be a source of distractions and that in some cases single gender classes are more focused and get higher marks, but this idea just isn't realistic. You aren't going to graduate high school and go to a single gender university, then work in a single gendered workplace. If you don't learn to interact with both genders now when will you get that chance?

I could go so far as to say that guys and girls learn from each other, and that the competition between them is almost motivating to work harder.

I think what the OP meant with the scientific study is that in a conservative teaching style, where the teacher talks and the students take notes without much participation, single gender classes tend to work better. This only applies to the teaching hours in school obviously. If we extend this to how the school prepares us for life, then we can argue that the world has two sexes and not just one. Limiting myself to the question, I do think single gender classes work better.

I have never had a single gender class and i don't think it has affected the way i work. The competition between guys and girls seems to be healthy especially when you head into the real world, women are going to have to learn how to be better then the guys and it starts from the early stage of beating them in most subjects at school

My class is single gender. Yep, 10 girls in one class. I used to go to a co ed school before though.

I'd say that there are definitely some girls in my class who are just plain afraid of males O.o . The only males they know are from their families.

There are some girls who, instead of concentrating on their studies just plain obsess about any guys that they actually meet and know.

And then there are some girls who benefit from the single gender classroom. They dedicate themselves to studying more. Girls also seem way nicer when alone with other girls. At least that's how I see it ^^

So, like in all things in life, it depends on the personality of the particular individual.

Edited by Sunflowerr

I strongly believe that co-ed is better because after school, the whole world is NOT single gender! There will be boys out there and many of them are hindrances, but it is something you will have to deal with all you life. Both co-ed and single gender classes have their pros and cons, but a co-ed class will perpare you more for the real world. In a co-ed class you may befriend boys, you will compete with them, you will debate with them, you will get distracted with them, vice versa for females if a boy is reading this. Therefore, i believe that single gender is not as good as co-ed. Girls will distract you too if you are in single gender (vice versa of boys), so it is not fair (to some extent) to say you will be distracted more in co-ed.

In my opinion, I find that co-ed classes offer a better experience for learner. Interactions between both genders are crucial for a child's communication skills to develop. Boys and Girls learn in different ways, and because they can interact with each other in classes, they are able to help each other out. It’s a good environment for both genders.

However, I have considered going to college to a girl only college. Personally, I want to try it out and see if I like it or not. I'm guessing it would be quite a friendly college, but I'll have to look through my options before I make a final decision. I still have a long way to go.

EDIT: And about distractions, I guess for me the best way to get rid of them is to just study by myself away from the girls and boys at the library or your local coffee shop and bookstore.

Edited by pugen

i think that co-ed classes are better because it brings more variety to the table.

cause in certain subjects most girls tend to have the same thoughts and stuff.

however boys bring a different side of the story.

whilst, sometimes they're a distraction or what not

but girls are just as bad.

but it works.

When you go to university or college, you don't have single gender classes.....

Anyhoo I was in an all girls school for 10 years. I hated it, it was terrible, and the girls are so catty and terrible with eachother My marks were terrible

but then I moved to a mixed school and my marks are waaaaay better than before, so...

Hahaha, well I have never heard of single gender classes before.

As pathetic and sad as this is, I would probably drop out of IB if my classes were single gender. I cannot stand working with girls around me all the time. I would go insane. Sometimes, I feel like boys are just so much more easy going and fun to talk to. Who cares about *focusing in your studies* all the time? IB needs some relaxation. Some opposite sex in the same class. I don't see how gender role can affect one's learning ability either ;) Well that's just my input.

• 2 months later...
i think that co-ed classes are better because it brings more variety to the table.

cause in certain subjects most girls tend to have the same thoughts and stuff.

however boys bring a different side of the story.

whilst, sometimes they're a distraction or what not

but girls are just as bad.

but it works.

Pfft, get some self-control and that problem is solved. It's not like you can't tell someone to stop bothering you and go away.

I go to an all girls' school, and I think girls are typically more focused in school in a single gendered class. Girls are catty but they know how to deal with each other. Girls can go make those stupid jokes and laugh about things and say opinions that they normal wouldn't feel right around boys. I can roll into bed and roll out of it, put my uniform and I'd be okay to go the way I looked - girls don't need to focus on looking good blahblahblah. Most of us have guy friends out of school to hang with after school/weekends anyway.

I do agree that co-ed will bring a variety to the table... I did go to a co-ed elementary school, and that our careers end up requiring to interact with boys anyway... (except my freshman english teacher who went to an all girls elementary, high school, and college... and taught in an all girls' school :) ). Ehh.

I heard that girls work better in single sex classes while guys work better in co-ed classes.

Personally I do agree with the first statement. I moved from a co-ed school to an all girls school about a year ago and I find the quieter environment much easier to concentrate in. The biggest pro is that I find it easier to speak and express my opinion in class now.

The con is that class has become very monotonous and boring... back then someone would crack a joke every 5 minutes.

Like Mkxxy, I too go to an all girl’s school, and I don't mind it. In my opinion, co-ed and single gender both have their advantages and disadvantages. Being in co-ed helps you prep up for uni/college/the real world, whereas in a single gender class, you learn to break out of your shell and gain confidence and courage. In my classes, we all support each other and there is that one or two girls who challenge each other, but we all are supportive. I’m not sure if this applies for co-ed too.

sure, you may work better/more productively get better grades etc...

BUT...

IT WOULD BE SO BORING!

i've always (and still am) at a co-ed school where we have co-ed classes and quite frankly, if someone came up to me and went "would you like to get better marks? it can be all yours with only one small sacrifice of all girls classes for the rest of your schooling year *cheesy smile"

i would flat out say no.

then again this is all my personal opinion and i've never ever said to my parents "i want to go to an all girls school!" simply because my "besti" in primary was a guy so i'm pretty much used to them and life is heaps more interesting with them around.

Actually it isn't boring. We have a ton of fun every day and actually get work done. I have never been in a co-ed class expect kindergartern but I have a ton of guy friends and I don't think that the 'fun-ness' of a class depends on the fact that its co-ed, but on the students there. We have many humerous girls that make up for the girls.

I don't think single gender classes are any better or worse than co-ed classes. Even if someone goes to an all-boys or all-girls school, they will inevitably get exposure to people of the opposite gender. Besides, most of these schools try to establish events for the people at that school to get exposed to the opposite sex. I have a friend who goes to an all-girls school and she knows a bunch of guys from an all-boys school, from these events. We are all social creatures and the school is not our only social environment. So, yeah, it's neither detrimental or beneficial, imo.