ToK Presentation Help

Hi everyone,

I am going to do my Tok presentation soon and I'm thinking of choosing the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings as my real life situation. I think this will be a good one because it brings up the issue of individual vs. collective rights; the child's guaranteed safety at school vs. the shooting community's (hobbie/sport/job) access to their guns.

Although I have a good idea on what I want to do, I can't seem to come up with a good KI! I think I will touch upon history and ethics, as well as reason and emotion. I would really appreciate if anyone could give me some advice, because I'm pretty stuck and stressing out!

Thanks a lot! Joe.

Hello. I have my first TOK presentation on May (I´m a junior, and I´ll do a second presentation next year). I have to start thinking about a topic. My partner and I have thought about these two social problems: 1. School stress over teenagers. and 2. Discrimination of people with disabilities or special capacities (people with Down Syndrome or peope who use a wheelchair, for example).

I´m still not sure if those are ok.

Thanks for the help, Angie.

Hello. I have my first TOK presentation on May (I´m a junior, and I´ll do a second presentation next year). I have to start thinking about a topic. My partner and I have thought about these two social problems: 1. School stress over teenagers. and 2. Discrimination of people with disabilities or special capacities (people with Down Syndrome or peope who use a wheelchair, for example).

Well what exactly do you want to do with those?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well what exactly do you want to do with those?

I gave up on those. I´m doing Natural Resources Exploitation now. My question is if this areas and ways of knowledge are ok. Areas: Social Sciences (Economics- increase of production), Natural Sciences (Ecology?), and Ethics. And ways: sense perception, and reason... but I don´t know which one else...

Thanks for the help.

Well the areas themselves are ok, but without knowing what exactly you want to do, it's a bit difficult to say whether they're fine.

I think 3 AOK is rather a lot, I'm not sure if you can cover them in enough depth in 10 minutes.

For the WOK, let them come naturally. As you prepare your presentation, I think you will find that you are able to bring in other WOK. If there is no need, 2 WOK is actually enough. Don't force it.

• Like 3

I want to talk about exploitation of natural resources advantages and disadvantages.

For example:

Advantages

• Increase of production
  • paying of the external debt
  • Jobs

disadvantages

• contamination
  • destruction of the land
  • and so on.

I´m doing the presentation with a partner. So, is it better if we focus on only two AOK, each one on one?

Thanks a lot for your help

I want to talk about exploitation of natural resources advantages and disadvantages.

For example:

Advantages

• Increase of production
  • Jobs

disadvantages

• contamination
  • and so on.

I´m doing the presentation with a partner. So, is it better if we focus on only two AOK, each one on one?

If you do it with a partner, you need to be able to talk about it for twice the time. In my school, those usually fail.

But, you have an interesting topic. I'd like to point out that the ToK presentation is about examining what knowledge is and how we gain it. Just because 'ethics' is an area of knowledge does not mean that you can make a presentation about whether exploiting natural resources is ethical or not. Again, I've seen people fail their presentations because of that.

If you really are doing a partner project, make sure you do have enough AoKs and WoKs to talk about. The partner presentations I saw all had way too many real life situations and not enough ToK in them.

• Like 1

For example:

Advantages

• Increase of production
  • Jobs

disadvantages

• contamination
  • and so on.

If you do it with a partner, you need to be able to talk about it for twice the time. In my school, those usually fail.

But, you have an interesting topic. I'd like to point out that the ToK presentation is about examining what knowledge is and how we gain it. Just because 'ethics' is an area of knowledge does not mean that you can make a presentation about whether exploiting natural resources is ethical or not. Again, I've seen people fail their presentations because of that.

If you really are doing a partner project, make sure you do have enough AoKs and WoKs to talk about. The partner presentations I saw all had way too many real life situations and not enough ToK in them.

Thanks, I took this on consideration when I went to talk to my teacher.

I was thinking that maybe we could talk about the environmental laws in my country, including politics as a social science?

And as an another natural science, medicine. As we are focusing on the exploitation of gold mines in our country, we know that it requires a huge amount of toxic substances. And medicine and chemistry could help developing medicines to help the affected workers, or prevent the effects of this substances.

But I don´t know if two social sciences(economics and politics) and three natural sciences (ecology, medicine and chemistry) is too much to cover up in just 20 minutes, considering that we have to introduce our topic.

thanks for your help :)