Need help choosing an SL science, pretty confused!

n-l-d

I'm currently a sophomore picking classes for next year, and unfortunately my counselor is rarely available, so i thought it might help to ask around on here (-:

i took biology my freshmen year and i'm currently in chemistry. i'm planning on either going into biology or astronomy/astrophysics (but i'm leaning towards biology), so what would be more beneficial to take, chem sl or physics sl? is it a bad idea to go into ib physics with no prior physics experience? would not taking physics be detrimental if i happened to go into astronomy? would it maybe be better to take chem sl and take physics at a community college over the summer?

i was planning on taking bio hl my senior year, because apparently bio sl isn't a prerequisite for it, and i wanted to kind of dabble in all the sciences so as to keep my options open. but i haven't been able to get a solid answer for this, because some people online have said that bio sl is a prerequisite, some students at my school have said that it's not, and no teachers or counselors ever said anything about the subject. as much as i try to ask teachers and counselors they just send me around back and forth to other people! it's so frustrating, i can't get an answer about anything! )-:

Bio SL is NOT a prerequisite for Bio HL... I would say if you plan on taking Physics SL you don't really need prior physics experience as it is designed to teach you the basic's of physics. For Example: The Free Body Diagrams, Optics, and sound stuff are all learned in the regular or (H) Physics classes so you really don't need prior experience for SL Physics for HL however, you might want to have take (H) Physics or the equivalent. Also, you have to take Bio HL your junior year because, it is a two year course. If I were you I would take Chem HL or Bio HL and take Physics along with either one of those. If you want to go into astronomy/astrophysics you will need to know physics if HL Physics is available I'd take (H) Physics or the equivalent over the summer and then take HL Physics and SL Chemistry or SL Bio as the physics would help you in going into astrophysics.
Hope this helps!!!

If you want to study biology, you should take the chemistry class. A biology degree will make you take a lot of chemistry classes, so taking chemistry will help you out. On the other hand, astrophysics is very physics and math centered, so you want to take physics.

You can do well in physics with no prior experience. You might be able to get into an astronomy program without physics, but you'll have to start in physics right away because there's a lot you need to know.

If you have the option of taking either chemistry or physics at HL, I would recommend you do so.

1. You don't need bio sl to go into bio hl. bio hl should be a 2 year course :)

2. If you want to go into astronomy, you should take physics rather than chemistry.

3. You can definitely do well in physics sl without prior experience!

4. If you can take physics at your community college then I would choose to do chem sl

& If you are going to experience all the sciences don't be afraid to choose the IB Physics + Biology combination ( it's what i chose XD )

i did not know that bio hl was a two year course!! are all hl science classes two years? that's strange because i was told juniors couldn't take hl classes other than english and us history. do schools differ regarding ib requirements, or was i just told the wrong info?

The IB is meant to be a 2 year program with all of your classes (SL and HL) being two years long. Schools in the US usually don't follow this rule for some odd reason and make most SL classes one year and HL classes for two years, with your HL content being in your final year. My school did pretty much the same thing yours is doing.

• Like 1