Comparison of the 1905 revolution, February and October 1917 revolutions

Tony Petrovik

Hi guys, I would like to ask for some help, I am trying to plan different essays for different topics.

I am having trouble with the topic comparing the 1905, February 1917 and October 1917 revolutions.

The basic idea i have is that 1905 wasnt much of a revolution, more of an outcry for change and some facts, I would include are like the sailors did revolt like at Kronstadt but the army remained loyal and it wasnt organised (and other facts along the same line)

The February 1917 revolution i would say isnt organised but more of an outcry as excacerbated by WW1 and poverty and food and fuel shortages and both the army and navy revolted (unlike 1905 where it was only the navy) etc.

The October revolution was organised, included strategy and organisation by the Bolsheviks and takeover of government by the Bolsheviks although other parties were basically confined to the Soviet.

I would like to ask if anyone has other ideas, facts or arguments to put forward concerning the comparison of the three different revolution.

1. Nature

The February Revolution grew from a street demonstration gone out of control; there was no single political force behind it, and it was not a strategically planned event.

The October Revolution, on the other hand, was a planned coup, designed and brought about by Lenin and the Bolshevik Party. This second revolution was a deliberate attempt to overthrow the current Russian government, seize power, and institute a Communist state in place of the monarchy.

2. Causes

February Revolution

- Amounted discontent from the Russian people towards their government and even the tsar himself.

- Unwillingness to grant reforms ---> seen by the Bloody Sunday of 1905

- Nicholas II's decision to take over the army as the commander in chief. (WWI)

- Rising inflation and shortages of food and fuel resulting from the hoarding of grain by farmers and the bad railway system led to popular discontent.

- Rise in urban population from 22 million to 28 million between 1914 and 1916

According to Darby, the police estimated in 1916 that wages rose by 100% but prices rose by 300%.

October Revolution

Government failed to solve people's initial problems.

- The government wanted to persecute the war with offensives and annexations, the population wanted an end to it.

- The government failed to address the issue of the distribution of land, and this led to massive dissatisfaction amongst the peasants. It delayed solving the issue because it knew that as soon as it gave land to the peasants, the soldiers' war morale will decrease and they will begin returning home and thus abandoning the front.

- Inflation and food shortages continued to be an issue. The government doubled the price of grain in order to encourage peasants to sell their grain, however, all that did was ignite inflation and lead to more food shortages. Food shortages created not because of lack of food but because of poor distribution as the railways were used for military purposes - transportation of troops and ammunition among others.

- Industries and factories started shutting down and workers started taking over factories.

3. Methods

February Revolution

- The revolution started with the Worker's Group's strike in January 9 of 140,000 men in Petrograd in memory of the anniversary of the Bloody Sunday.

- February 14th, 90,000 went on strike.

- Then on February 23, 100,000 workers and women went on strike.

The following day 200,000 demonstrated in the streets, and the day after that, the number grew to 300,000.

- 8th of March - Women's day - women go out on a marching protest in front of the palace.

October Revolution

- Red Guards started to seize control over important government buildings in Petrograd such as power stations, railway stations, telephone exchange, and the post office.

- On 21-22 October the Bolsheviks gained control of two garrisons.

- Finally, on November 7th the Red Guards took over the Winter Palace to put an end to this government.

4. Results

February - abdication of the Tsar, fall of the Russian Empire, establishment of the provisional government.

October - establishment of Bolshevik control.

• Like 1