SAT vs IB Grade (Importance)

Aesop

Hey guys,

I was just wondering how much significance the IB grade has on the university applications to the US.

For example, in my school, some of the teachers are really lazy (because the school does not want to cut them) and thus, it is really hard for the students to ask for help after school/questions about a summative assignment.

Furthermore, the teacher that teaches the subject I want to major in the future, does not give a SH*T about his students, as he is long-term contracted with the school and will receive his pay anyways, no matter in what manner he teaches.

In conclusion, the question I want to ask is this: Do US Universities care more about a applicant's SAT grade then their IB grades? In other words, if I have a low IB grade but a high SAT grade, would it cover up for my sad IB grade? (I'm not saying my IB grade is under 30 or anything, it is around 30-40).

If anyone has seen this case in real life, mind describing what happened (what grades he/she had etc.)?

Thanks,

Aesop

Hello Aesop,

Firstly, I don't have too much knowledge about the admission in the USA. But I heard than SAT is more important that the IB grade.

Scoring more than 33 Pts,in the IB is a good but not without SAT. I think, as I still remember, you need 1800 and above in SAT test in order to have a good chance to join any university in USA.

Check the threads about SAT tests in this forum for further information.

As I said I don't have too much knowledge about the SAT tests.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Mostafa

Edited by Mostafa Eldamaty
  • Like 1

In the US, colleges don't even need predicted grades and it doesn't really matter what you score as long as you get your diploma because all your IB diploma does is set you apart from other applicants for taking a more rigorous course load and will cover some of the basic credits depending on the university. The SAT and ACT on the other hand are viewed as the ultimate tests of a students knowledge and getting a good score on one or the other will definitely help you get into a good university. Depending on where you want to go depends on what SAT or ACT score you'll need. For ivy league and other private schools 2100+ is best on the SAT, whereas for public universities 1800-1900+ would be fine. What schools are you interested in?

• Like 1

Firstly a 30-40 engenders various possibilities that range from average to excellent. Secondly both your SATs and your IB points validate and will determine whether you are granted admissions or not. Again depending on the tier of school you are applying to, some may give you conditional or unconditional offers in which I would advice you have good IB grades whereas you should guarantee that you get the best you can on your SATs. Inevitably, whether you get an unconditional or not may be contingent on your SAT scores as they help determine your admission (since official tests are done way after admission is permitted). I wouldnt say they dont care about your IBs but they are more lazed about it as they do concede that this program is exhausting and they do give you a band of which you can score, and scoring on the lower end is provoking them to challenge their acceptance. If you need more advice, you need to be more specific and if you need any more answers just message me

Even though I have never taken the SATs before, I come from a school where students that sit the SATs before the IB exams and send off their SAT results and IB predicted grade. There are cases where they receive "unconditional offers" and then they pretty much slack off afterwards.. I've heard that some people slack off so much they get really low IB scores, but the schools still accept them.

I personally find it unfair that they don't work as hard as the others who apply to elsewhere that really depend on the final grade. But that's life. :S

Your IB Predicted grade is really important, according to me. When you apply through CommonApp or other applications, they ask for your entire high school transcript including your class 11 actual grades and grade 12 predicteds. Although, what they really look for is consistency and a general improvement over the years in your grades. There has to be an upward slope, so to say. Besides, your SAT results are important too, though not as important as your high school transcript.

I've heard most of the ivy leagues discard applications instantly when SAT scores are below the bare minimum, even if that student may have an IB 45. They help you clear the initial screening and then form a major component of determining your overall score ( something which universities use to combine all your grades, SAT's, SAT 2's etc. ) . So yeah, they're both important but the high school transcript is the real deal.

That remark regarding the IB discarding your application based on low SATs is ludicrous. While it is true that they should be within a range, even a low SAT grade can get you accepted with a bit of serendipity. Finally the remark regarding the laze demeanor American IB applicants espouse after acceptance is fair within context, yet what needs to be considered is the prodigious efforts required to meet the requirements - you do have to prepare for the SAT and subject tests. Furthermore, this is compounded by the endless and somewhat ridiculous essays specific for each university so in conclusion if they get an unconditional, why work? :P

From my frankly limited knowledge of the US university system, both IB and SAT results are important and one set of results can compensate for another. However, having said that, I think that there may be a slight bias towards weighting SAT/AP results more, simply because SAT/AP is taken by pretty much every student applying and thus is quantitatively easier to compare, whereas IB results are harder to compare due to a smaller pool of IB applicants (and indeed, even GPA is harder to compare because each school has its own system).

In terms of the importance of IB predicted grades, they are important to the extent that they add to your high school transcript - however, they do just form a part of them. Whilst I sympathise with the view that the admissions system of the US fosters people to 'slack off' (for instance, as opposed to the conditional offers of the UK system), I think that most people would still aim to work decently hard for the sake of completing their education. Even if people do slack off for final IB exams, I don't think there can be much done about it unless the admissions system in the US changes to something closer to the UK. However, the problem of 'slacking off' can never really be eradicated - for example, in Australia most admissions are based on final IB point total (no transcripts, no writing, no pre-requisites, no references, some additional 'bonus points') - so that can encourage 'slacking off' until the final mad rush to hand in IAs and to do IB exams. I myself thought that I could apply to the UK/US with my IB final grades since I was 6 months ahead of most May 2014 candidates and didn't realise my predicted grades were possibly more influential than the finals - so from that my personal advice is that you shouldn't treat any set of exams lightly, because they might end up mattering!

In the end, since US admissions tend to be more 'holistic', the admissions committee has the prerogative to do whatever it wants. They can look at your SAT results and decide they make up for a poorer set of IB results. Don't forget to work early and hard on your essays, ECs and references, and best of luck!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Your main aim if applying to a US uni should be your SATs and GPA. These are the most important and what the universities look at first. However, the ECAs will make a huge contribution to their decision as it is a leading factor as well (where you also have to show leadership experience). Along the same importance as the ECAs is the college essay that you have to write for application. A killer essay can at times turn the odds in favour of you. In this entire process, IB grades are also very important but since the GPA is also based on your marks, the actual IB grade is not that important. When i say that the IB grade is not that important, i am not saying that universities don't care about IB. What I'm saying is that the IB score will not be as important as your SATs and GPA. Not a big difference in important but the SATs and GPA are the main targets that you'll need to demolish.

A high SAT grade (2200+) CAN make up for a low IB score (33-38).

A high IB score (40+) CANNOT make up for a low SAT score (<2000)

Obviously these numerical figures would change depending on the competitiveness of the university. Something like Harvard, getting 2400 perfect SAT score or 45 Perfect IB score is not the most admirable. They would look at around 42+ in IB and 2300+ in SAT. But a lesser competitive university might accept around 35 in IB if you have 2100 in SATs.

Hope this helped....

I'm pretty sure this person has long ago gone to uni as this thread is from 1.5 years ago. Please don't revive old threads when your answer will no longer be relevant.