Not exactly a humanities person, need help picking one one.

Guest NapWar

Guest NapWar

I have quite a few options for my humanities subject. Economics, history, geography, business & management, environmental systems & societies namely. Whatever I pick, it probably wouldn't be at Higher Level, since I plan to go double sciences and math HL. (hoping to go into genetics and genetic engineering in the future)

I've narrowed it down to Economics vs Geography (though I'd consider History as well).

I've done Economics at GCSE level, loved it and did well, so I definitely favour it. I'm big on academics, and I heard Economics HL isn't too much more work compared to SL, so do you guys think it'll be OK to do 4 HLs. I mean, there is a chance I might drop Math to SL, but without considering that.

I've never had the chance to do geography before, but it's supposed to be the most-sciencey humanity so I might do well in it. It seems quite interesting to me.

All in all though, since my humanity doesn't really matter so much, I was wondering which would be most useful, at SL specifically. Maybe in terms of what universities may prefer, in the US or elsewhere. I'd probably enjoy anything I do, so I'm looking for other factors to consider mostly. So what do you guys think?

I highly recommend taking IB Economics. It is an easy course and there is not too much difference between SL and HL. Also it is one of the easiest IB HL courses and more so for you since you have done Economics at GCSE level. Math HL could be very difficult but the again it might be required for your field. I don't think universities care much whether you choose economics or geography since you are studying something completely different in university. Ultimately, pick what interests you.

If I were you, I'd choose geography as it fits in nicely with your highers (which I'm assuming are biology and chemistry). I know a lot of people at my school do HL Biology and Chemistry along with either: Geography, History or Psychology (which is what I do), but I've yet to come across a person who does Economics along with bio and chem. :)

Guest NapWar

I highly recommend taking IB Economics. It is an easy course and there is not too much difference between SL and HL. Also it is one of the easiest IB HL courses and more so for you since you have done Economics at GCSE level. Math HL could be very difficult but the again it might be required for your field. I don't think universities care much whether you choose economics or geography since you are studying something completely different in university. Ultimately, pick what interests you.

I'm not quite sure about the necessity of Math HL, I'd like to do microbiology or biochemistry at undergraduate level. Math is definitely more relevant to what I intend to do compared to Economics, that's all I'm certain about :)

Guest NapWar

If I were you, I'd choose geography as it fits in nicely with your highers (which I'm assuming are biology and chemistry). I know a lot of people at my school do HL Biology and Chemistry along with either: Geography, History or Psychology (which is what I do), but I've yet to come across a person who does Economics along with bio and chem. :)

I picked the stream for full sciences with economics for GCSE, and I'm not sure why I did any more haha! I wonder what I'd have said 3 years ago... it doesn't exactly make sense does it? Luckily it may be coming in handy. Still, it's true that geography seems better suited for me. I guess I'll check out both classes and go with what interests me more. I have to say, I'm kinda leaning towards Economics though.