Emmi

There's this new little game going around on the internet called 2048. Maybe you guys have heard of it or played it? For those of you who are unfamiliar with it, basically you slide tiles around on a 4x4 board. If two tiles have the same numerical value, they combine. You begin with 2, which can become 4, then 8, then 16, and so forth following a 2n pattern. Your goal is to get to 2048.

Does anyone else play this? It's really popular in my engineering classes (I see people playing on it instead of taking notes) and I play when I need little breaks from work. If you do, what's the highest tile you've gotten to? I can't get past 1024 :hmmph:

Here's the link to the game: http://gabrielecirulli.github.io/2048/

Haha that took me several hours of precious study time, good way to procrastinate...

You have to keep moving towards one direction, for example the lower left corner. In this case stick the largest number to the lower left and keep pressing ↓, sometimes ← and occasionally → (when there are few tiles you can just randomly move them like this for a while, but keep an eye on it). DO NOT PRESS ↑ (set the direction as whatever you like, this is just an example) unless absolutely necessary (for example when there are 3 rows full at the bottom of the screen), and you should be able to do it.

This seems easy but it did take me several hours to get 2048, because whenever I have to press ↑ I die after some more moves.

Once I got it it's no longer interesting, but there are so many derivatives to waste more time on :P, just to list the interesting ones:

-chemistry elements (the same thing as the original one, just changed the appearance, but quite interesting)

-3D (like a Rubik's cube)

-other strange stuff

↑After playing them for a while I start to feel that ALL the icons on my laptop are so small, my eyes start to hurt, and time go by so quickly, so I'll try not to play these anymore at least until the exams are finished...

Edited by ssy

Oh my goodness. This game irritates me because I haven't managed to get to 2048 yet and I'm that person who has to keep trying at something until I can do it.

I tried the method suggested above ^ and managed to go from 512 to 1048. I don't know if it's a coincidence or if that's actually a mathematical strategy that really works, but thanks for the tip either way. :P

My best score is 15376...

I just want to get to 2048 just once, okay. Just once.

The purpose for that is to create a line of this pattern:

n-2n-4n-8n

Where 8n is the largest number and stays in the corner.

So if you create another n on the next row, you can just create 16n.

In order to do this we have to move mainly to the direction where we want to create the pattern, and sometimes to the direction of the corner that the largest number is at.

If both directions don't work, try the direction opposite from the "direction of the corner".

If this still doesn't work and you're not "almost done" (i.e. have a 1024) then most probably you are going to game over pretty soon but just trying the last direction left doesn't hurt.

Guest Marioti

I played it and I didn't stop until I finally got that tile...

But then it told me to continue but I was frustrated so I didn't haha

It's fun and addictive though

I FINALLY REACHED 2048! I'm so happy that it's sad.

ssy's strategy is a legit one though, and it really does work :D

also why did you list all the derivative games? :P

now i'm in another endless loop playing 2147483648!

It's taken me like half an hour just to reach 8192...

Edit: spent like another 2 hours and only got to 65536, so..

then I accidentally quit safari and lost everything, but actually,

I feel like I've escaped the game's hold on me!

Edited by bluedino

• 1 year later...