Hardest possible IB schedule

Guest Daminark

Guest Daminark

I'm a bit bored right now (with the IO, EE, math quiz, etc...) so just for the ****s and giggles, what would you guys say is the hardest possible IB schedule? Before it was easy:

HL English A1

SL Spanish A1

HL History

HL Physics

SL Further Math

HL Chem

Though now that Further Math is an HL subject it is different. I'd say it is:

HL English A: Literature

SL Spanish A: Literature

SL History

HL Physics

HL Further Math

HL Chem

I say this because the difference between HL and SL history is only that you cover more (in more time). It doesn't require extra skills.

I already have my schedule put together. I'm just trying to put together the hardest schedule just for it. On that note, the easiest is probably:

HL English A: Language and Literature

SL ab initio Spanish

HL Business and Management

SL ESS

SL Math Studies

HL Psychology

Any other suggestions?

That depends on what kind of person you are.

For example if you don't know Spanish then Spanish A1 is going to be...quite bad.

Even for humanities and sciences the subjective difficulty varies among people, for me if I take two group 3 subjects at HL then I'm probably already dead (exaggerated, but still...).

For mathematics the subject with the most content is definitely Further math HL, but then anyone who takes it should be quite good at maths, so further math HL is probably easier for me than math studies for someone else who is better at languages/humanities.

Guest Marioti

Like said above it really depends on what you know/like..I mean the spanish ab initio class I had started with 6 kids and 4 dropped out...

But I would say further math is just.... I would never take that

Guest Daminark

Lol my schedule is:

SL English Literature

Ab Initio French

HL Econ

HL Chem

HL Math

HL Physics

It's actually not too bad. Econ and Ab Initio French (wanted Spanish >:( ) are pathetically easy, English is easy but a lot of work, Chem and Physics are moderate, and Math is a little tricky but not too bad so far. Though from what I hear, with the exception of people who are taking what they are weak in, the hardest arrangement is that. Let's take somebody who has equal ability in the humanities and in STEM. I'm looking for specifically how hard the IB subjects are (maybe they do a worse job at making IB Bio hard than they do in IB Physics).

The languages were arbitrary. If I had my way I'd want to be fluent in Spanish and take it at A1. And I'm fluent in English.

I chose History to drop to SL since the difference is only in content from what I know (no extra skills needed). It's less of a drop than Further Math -> SL Math.

It seems that for the easiest we have:

Language Ab Initio (say Spanish)

HL ITGS

ESS or Sports (which one is easier?)

Math Studies

HL Psychology

Any other revisions to that or the following:

SL History

HL Physics

Further Math

HL Chem

I think Music should be in there. I didn't do music in IB but I did some music (theory) classes in middle school and that was probably my hardest subject ever. Unless you're naturally able to distinguish between notes aurally, you're going to have a bad time.

Also, I agree it is very subjective. I found HL physics not that bad but had more trouble with Group 1 and 2 subjects.

• Like 1

Guest Daminark

You have to have at least 2 SL classes for your IB diploma. If you do more than 6 classes (some of them not counting to the diploma) they can all be HL. Or if you don't do the IB diploma and are just a certificate student, take anything you want.

As for Further Math, according to IB it is possible to do Further Math by itself, though it will be assumed that you are doing HL math (you are expected to know the core and an option), so you'd either have to take them side by side, take Math HL before Further Math, fail miserably, or self-study HL math. However, IB does not prohibit you to take Further Math on its own.

Edited by Daminark

To do further maths you have to do HL Maths too. I'd say that hardest possible combination would be

HL Maths

HL Further Maths

HL Physics

SL Mandarin/Russian/Arabic B

SL English Lit

SL History

You don't have to have HL math to do HL further.

HL further does assume the knowledge of HL math... but you can register for math HL or (inclusive "or") further math HL, most people I know does both though.

My schedule is actually pretty demanding. I have:

HL Language A1

HL Spanish A1

Math SL

Psychology HL

Biology SL

Chem SL

Unfortunately in my school we don't get to choose which subjects we want to have as HL or SL, so we just stick with what they have. If it was up to me I would have gone for:

HL Language A1

SL Spanish A1

Math SL

Psychology HL

Biology HL

Chem SL

Between the chem and bio labs I usually end up staying in school until 7pm, and with my Psych and Math IA I'm pretty much a zombie.

• 2 months later...

Lol my schedule is:

SL English Literature

Ab Initio French 

HL Econ

HL Chem

HL Math 

HL Physics

It's actually not too bad. Econ and Ab Initio French (wanted Spanish > :( ) are pathetically easy, English is easy but a lot of work, Chem and Physics are moderate, and Math is a little tricky but not too bad so far. Though from what I hear, with the exception of people who are taking what they are weak in, the hardest arrangement is that. Let's take somebody who has equal ability in the humanities and in STEM. I'm looking for specifically how hard the IB subjects are (maybe they do a worse job at making IB Bio hard than they do in IB Physics). 

The languages were arbitrary. If I had my way I'd want to be fluent in Spanish and take it at A1. And I'm fluent in English.

I chose History to drop to SL since the difference is only in content from what I know (no extra skills needed). It's less of a drop than Further Math -> SL Math. 

It seems that for the easiest we have:

Language Ab Initio (say Spanish)

HL ITGS

ESS or Sports (which one is easier?)

Math Studies

HL Psychology

Any other revisions to that or the following:

SL History 

HL Physics

Further Math

HL Chem

ESS is easier than Sports I think... :)

My schedule would be...

Bahasa Indonesia A: Language & Literature SL

English B HL

Business and Management HL

Chemistry SL

Mathematics SL

ITGS HL

it depends on how you think though. Everyone's opinion would be different since everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses

HL Physics

HL Chemistry

HL Further Maths

SL English Lit (...with the wild card that English lit is not your first language dun dun dun)

SL Russian B

SL Anthropology

I always found maths super difficult so we have 3 mathematical type subjects at HL in my version. Hard to pick difficult SLs and humanities though :blink: 

Well, for the fun of it, my personal disaster combination would be:

French Literature HL (My french is basic)

Music HL (Nil background)

Further Math HL (I don't even want to know what people learn here)

Physics HL (My least everything science)

History SL (Reasons described above, I also happen to have minimal background)

Mandarin a.b. SL (Unrelated to any of the languages I speak, whole new alphabet)

• Like 1

It's very subjective but for me the hardest schedule would be:

English Literature SL (I'm not a native English speaker but I would probably be allowed to do English Lit as I'm still fluent)

Music HL (I don't have any musical skills)

Computer Science HL (I'm horrible at computers)

Further Math HL (Doesn't need explanation considering that I'm taking Studies)

Physics HL (I'm awful at Physics)

Spanish B/Russian B SL (For some reason I have difficulties with learning Spanish and Russian)

I'm quite good at learning languages so I guess I could handle an Ab initio language. The problem begins when I have to study more advanced Russian grammar or practice perfect pronunciation in Spanish.

To be honest I'm also pretty awful at Biology but I have heard that IB Biology is pretty straight-forward (mostly memorisation) so I chose Physics instead.

Personally, I don't consider my current IB subjects difficult at all. Except for Chemistry SL, maybe.

Edited by Sceptyczka

History HL

Chemistry HL/Computer Science HL

Further Mathematics HL

Russian Lang Lit HL

Latin B SL

Philosophy SL

With 2 extra arts subjects done after school like that girl in our forums (Erudite was her name??)

Art HL

Theater HL