Is this plagiarism?

Hi all,

I have recently submitted my english A written task (Creative writing) and at first I was pretty glad it was over... But when I think about it, I only briefly mentioned my inspiration which was a video in my rationale and did not make a proper reference for anything. Even though I did not copy and paste any content, I am still very worried that the IB will take it as plagiarism as the content of my written task was inspired by the video and they share certain similarities.

I really need your advice/help...

Guest Viska

You wrote almost exactly what I have written on this forum before. I also wrote a written task and I felt bad when I did not put reference notes on it. I only did it in the last minute because I got the advice that I should put reference notes. This definately had made peace in my mind. So I think it is a very good idea to make references so you are on a safe side. But this is just my opinion of this. I would rather put credit someone for their work than pretend that everything what I have written is all by me.

I mentioned that my inspiration was a video my teacher showed me in the rationale though... And since it was a creative task, I didn't copy anything straight from my inspiration and I pretty much made everything up except the knowledge that I was taught in class. Will 'plagiarism' come to me?

I think if your teacher said that it is okay.

And If I was an examiner, I wouldn't take marks off not seeing any intention to copy things in the video... You said you are inspired by that in your work, so you are not hiding anything - i think that is enough.

Above all, it is a video, not a piece of writing. How much can a "writing" piece copied from a video? Unless that video is really creative-english language considering-video, I think it's all right.