Group 4 project topics

Guest yeemonkyaw

• 4 weeks later...

I've heard some rumors at my school...one of them regards the group 4 project. Some friends said that the schools send their group 4 projects of the students to random places [like Siberia] and the IB people there replicate and perform your experiment. My questions are:

Do the people who moderate the group 4 projects replicate your experiment?

What if the IB people obtaindifferent results from the ones you stated in your data? Will you be charged of malpractice and declined your diplomma?

Thanks for any possible advice.

=]

Aphan9: You really got/needed two months for your Group 4!? We had one week, Day one and two for planning, three and four for experimentation and data processing, and presentations on the Friday. Though we had no other classes than G4 all week.

For our project, we tried to find out which soda that mentos has the greatest reaction with. It was great fun, and we learnt a lot too!

For your information, Coke Light and Pepsi Max have the strongest reactions, shooting the soda between 70 and 75 cm into the air (Coke Light is the strongest)!

Very interesting, easy to do, and tons of fun! Group 4 is genius! (If anyone's interested, I'll upload a PDF of our presentation)

EDIT: The Group 4 Project gives a lot of hours of labwork, so the teacher's don't have to come up with tons upon tons of labs.

Could you uppload the project?

how did you fit biology into this experiment?

Our group's focus question is "How much energy could be saved if we recycled for one month?"

Can anyone help us with figuring out how to figure this out, or even give us links that could lead us to the right direction?

We're beyond confused...

we did ours on cryogenic/frigorific/freezing mixtures, not sure how you would say that in english. anyways, it was not that cool. I mean, we [chem students] were mixed with physics students and it sucks because the ones of physics in my school are sort of...well... stupid? lazy? i mean, not all of them, and fortunately not those in my team, but many of them are, and a huge part of the experimentation and all relied on them, so by procrastinating and doing quite a terrible job they slowed down many of us. and on top of everything, i dont even know what grade we got, because our teacher is really stupid. could you believe that, after the whole IB1, we've just covered about six or seven topics of the obligatory material on the syllabus? obviously we don't have any idea on options and so on... anyways. yeah. the topic was something like "Energy transfer in cryogenic mixtures", pretty boring tbh

Edited by robertomx

• 2 weeks later...

My school's topic is "science in the school" and we need to find the topics for three science subject. The topics you guys said are really fascinating. I study bio and phy, but my teacher said I only need to focus on one subject.

I choose bio, but I didn't choose the topic cuz I have no idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Our topic was how to beat a garbage....All things about recycling, energy reliesed from burning of different waste materials, good and bad about our ways of delaying garbage and so on.....

In fact,we have done some experiments and all that was recorded and afterwards we watched the films and organized discussions...oUR pROject week was very interesting and without hard work.

Our Group 4 topics were so different from everyone else's so far. Our class (M 2009) separated into 7 groups and all of the topics were an investigation of some sort whether it was the death of a maintenance worker, chem lab explosion, suspicious overnight demolition of our stadium, a hit-and-run incident with the dean's car, tornado, etc. They were all pretty random, but it was nice because it was fun to present and it wasn't too difficult to incorporate all the sciences.

Guest The X
Does any one know if the IB replicates your experiments? [sorry for the repeat...I feel unanswered ;_```;]

The IB doesn't steal your experiments, replicate them behind your back, and sell them to Multi-National Corporations for grand cash, if that's what you mean.

:D

I'm pretty sure of that.

The IB doesn't steal your experiments, replicate them behind your back, and sell them to Multi-National Corporations for grand cash, if that's what you mean.

:)

I'm pretty sure of that.

Lol, they meant more of, does IB replicate your experiment to see if it actually works or not, and if the results are accurate. :)
Our group's focus question is "How much energy could be saved if we recycled for one month?"

Can anyone help us with figuring out how to figure this out, or even give us links that could lead us to the right direction?

We're beyond confused...

I guess you could start by trying to google, amount of energy wasted per capita, or something along those lines. It'll be hard to create an experiment for that, unless you do it with the electricity wasted in your household - but that still is not that great. Edited by KLSmash

Could you uppload the project?

how did you fit biology into this experiment?

Strangely, it explains it on Wikipedia. :)

For example, a successful Group 4 project on mentos and coke phenomenon could comprise of a biology student describing the effects of mixing the two in the mouth, a chemistry student describing the chemical reactions taking place, and a physics student describing the surface of mentos.

Yes... I am referring to if the IB replicates your experiment to see if it's accurate/precise or whatever. You can't grow a meter-tall plant in two days ;>.>
How much are the Group 4 projects even worth? 'Cause on Wikipedia it reads;

Assessment of a Group 4 subject comprises the following:

* Internal assessment of the practical work (24%)

* Paper 1 - multiple choice questions on the SSC (20%)

* Paper 2 - free response questions on the SSC (32% at SL, 36% at HL)

* Paper 3 - free response questions on the options (24% at SL, 20% at HL)

Edited by KLSmash

Guest Lily Bean
I don't even know... but I've not even done any IB level labs yet and I've already finished my junior year. Perhaps we'll do them in my senior year? Oh well... I just wantto get my diplomma...anyway possible =P

There is really no such thing as an 'IB level' lab. Any lab you do in class at IB could be counted towards your IA assessment. It's just up to your teacher to mark them according to IB criteria.

As for replicating the data...they're not insane. They have better things to spend their money on than that. The point isn't whether the data is 'accurate' anway. It's in your method and analysis and conclusion. Even if your data completely doesn't make sense but you can come up with reasons to explain why then you're good...

• 2 weeks later...