Group 4 project topics

Guest yeemonkyaw

Guest yeemonkyaw

is that all?? in a way, that's quiet convenient cutting down on project and stuff, probably getting more time to concentrate on the main syllabus. :P But i dont know what's going on in my school?. ;) We dont even have presentation and all. we just doing the lab groupwise and writing the report and submiting it. Is it the way it is the way it is supposed to be done?...or what is the normal pattern of doing the G4 project like? :P

Edited by yeemonkyaw

Well no it's not what most people choose to have, but it is definitely possible, if you opt for a non-regular diploma.

erm non regular diploma? lol I've never heard that :) I thought you just get the extra science on a separate certificate :)

yea ours took like a week too :)

is that all?? in a way, that's quiet convenient cutting down on project and stuff, probably getting more time to concentrate on the main syllabus. :) But i dont know what's going on in my school?. :) We dont even have presentation and all. we just doing the lab groupwise and writing the report and submiting it. Is it the way it is the way it is supposed to be done?...or what is the normal pattern of doing the G4 project like? :)

I'm not sure. We had a presentation and a lab. But I think the main idea is thatyou have to have some proof that you've done it in case the IBO asks.

how much time are u given on the group iv?

this year, we were given only 2 months (is that a lot of time?)

2 MONTHS???

Mate, we did ours in a week. We spent 3 class periods (=40 minutes each) planning, 6 hours on a Saturday conducting the experiment and then delivered our presentation on about Wednesday the next week. Of course we had to have extra time in between that outside of class, and the lab itself wasn't' due until about a week later but you get the idea.

erm non regular diploma? lol I've never heard that :) I thought you just get the extra science on a separate certificate :)

It's possible to do 3 sciences and no Group 3 but you need special permission from IBO

My central topic was Water

If I knew how to convert my files to pdf files, I'd attach my lab writeups for my project to this post =/

My subtopic was "How does water affect the human body?"

I take chem and bio, so for chem, my group tested the pH of sweat, depending on the amount and type of water we drink (tea, water or nothing). For bio, we tested how the consummation of water affect people's physical performance in terms of running

My class had to do one full lab write up and planning labs for the other 1 or 2 sciences you take (if you take more than 1).

Edited by cixelsyD

• 2 weeks later...

Aphan9: You really got/needed two months for your Group 4!? We had one week, Day one and two for planning, three and four for experimentation and data processing, and presentations on the Friday. Though we had no other classes than G4 all week.

For our project, we tried to find out which soda that mentos has the greatest reaction with. It was great fun, and we learnt a lot too!

For your information, Coke Light and Pepsi Max have the strongest reactions, shooting the soda between 70 and 75 cm into the air (Coke Light is the strongest)!

Very interesting, easy to do, and tons of fun! Group 4 is genius! (If anyone's interested, I'll upload a PDF of our presentation)

EDIT: The Group 4 Project gives a lot of hours of labwork, so the teacher's don't have to come up with tons upon tons of labs.

Edited by The X

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Our's is coffee. We're figuring out how much caffeine is in different brands of coffee for our chem topic and how fine can different brands be grinded given the same amount of force for our physics topic.

• 3 months later...
Our's is coffee. We're figuring out how much caffeine is in different brands of coffee for our chem topic and how fine can different brands be grinded given the same amount of force for our physics topic.

My school just had a briefing on the g4 project. I heard that it's only being assessed on personal skills. So does this mean that the lab report doesn't really matter?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The X

Oh, it the lab report does matter. We held presentations and delivered a report, and it is on the basis of those, and on your own arguing, that a grade is set.

But I really recommend you do your best on the project, choose something fun and interesting. My group tried adding mentos to cola and measuring the height of the reaction. Another group tested lemon juice as a "raw apple protector" (can't remember the term). You may guess who had the most fun :lol:

If you're allowed, I could recommend dry-ice in a flask with water. It's exhilarating, but can be dangerous. Check Youtube for awesome videos.

• 4 weeks later...
The theme is recycling and conservation. My group is made up of a physics person, a biology person, and I'm doing both chemistry and design tech. I was thinking of doing something on conserving energy, but I am not sure how all of these sciences would tie into that.

Wouldn't the conservation of energy be more of the physics area. So what exactly are you doing becuase I think there are some ways to tie all three of those together.

• 5 weeks later...
I'm not sure. We had a presentation and a lab. But I think the main idea is thatyou have to have some proof that you've done it in case the IBO asks.

2 MONTHS???

Mate, we did ours in a week. We spent 3 class periods (=40 minutes each) planning, 6 hours on a Saturday conducting the experiment and then delivered our presentation on about Wednesday the next week. Of course we had to have extra time in between that outside of class, and the lab itself wasn't' due until about a week later but you get the idea.

Haha, we were given three and a half months! I haven't started yet, but I have until December 22nd.

are u serious??? we are given 3 half days n that's it... im doing a topic on artificial trees