"Bombing" High school grades after University Acceptance

Taisei Yamada

Hey guys,

So I was unconditionally accepted to my first choice university, and the university counselor told me that I don't have to worry if I fail the IB (there may be a slight decrease in my scholarship but still). But they told me that "Bombing" my high school grades after university acceptance could convince them to rescind my acceptance.

When American universities say "bombing", generally speaking what is the so called "borderline"? For example I got accepted with a 3.0 GPA, but when I looked at my grades at the moment it was around a 2.7 (technically 2.67).

Would this be a definite situation to worry about, or am I still on the "safe side"?

Thanks.

US universities do not care about the final grades. The only thing that would be affected would be the number of High School credits the university will give you.

Two of my friends failed the IB, for various reasons: their universities still accepted them (Berkley and Colorado).

US universities do not care about the final grades. The only thing that would be affected would be the number of High School credits the university will give you.

Two of my friends failed the IB, for various reasons: their universities still accepted them (Berkley and Colorado).

US universities don't care as much about final IB exam grades, unless scoring a certain total was required for a scholarship. High school final grades, however, are still important. You still have to do well after you get accepted, and this usually means keeping relatively the same (or slightly less) grades that you had when you applied and were accepted. I'm not sure how much of a drop would rescind admission, and you can always call up the university and ask if you're okay. But keep those grades up. Slacking off and doing poorly after you get admitted doesn't show the university that you're going to always be working hard and you take this seriously, and they have every right to take away your acceptance because of that.

@Megamind, in my case, the school sent a cumulative mark that included our mocks and internals.

@Taisei, it all depends on your university. I have heard (not sure) that Stanford will rescind an offer if 2 of your marks fall to a C (or 4) in your externals.

Some universities don't really care, others do value your IB Final marks, but in the end you should do your best on the Externals whether you have a conditional or unconditional. That's at least what i am doing.

@Fiz,

That's true. Whether you mess up or whether you ace it its gonna be our first and final IB exam so I guess theres no harm working your butt off. Besides we only have a few more days until our exams anyways, can't really say **** about it now lol.

I got unconditionally accepted to Florida Institute of Technology by the way. If any of you are familiar with the admission system of this school, if you could give me some insights regarding my thread topic that would be great. Even though I asked if my current scores are okay they didn't really answer my question right.