Is it WISE to choose all 3 sciences?!

Well, I just filled out my IB options sheet for next year.

Soon I will have to have an interview with our much er 'loved' IB coordinator.

Questions:

1) Would you survive doing 3 Sciences? My friend tells me I will be carried to the Mental Hospital if I choose all 3 sciences.

2) Would universities regard doing 3 sciences as a drawback?

Any other suggestions would be great!

Thanks!! ;)

As far as I'm aware, people in one of the Scandinavian countries (Maybe Norway) are already doing so to qualify into Medical School. Then again, that country has special permission from the IBO. Don't quote me on this tho, someone needs to clarify that.

I don't see how your school can offer you 3 sciences without doing a humanity. In fact, I'm sure you have to choose a humanity, and if you're intent on choosing 3 sciences, you'd have to do the third science as a 7th subject, i.e. a certificate.

Ok so yeah it is possible to do 3 sciences without going to mental hospital

in fact im doing all three and this year i took all hl courses, for the final year im dropping physics to sl

you dont have to take 7 subjects when taking all three sci. you'll just be an irregular diploma student

as far as i know those 3 sci are not specially rewarded by unis but sometimes its necessary for medical school applicants

the most important thing is that when uni needs 2hl sci you have one in hand if by any chance you failed in any other which may somehow help you.

ppl say it is hard and it is but when taking any of humanities you also have to do ia instead of labs

As far as I'm aware, people in one of the Scandinavian countries

This is true in Finland, we can apply for a non-regulatory diploma from IBO and state we want to go to medical school. As far as I know, non-reg diploma has so far been granted to everyone who has applied for it (in Finland). Mania90, not all schools are allowed to do non-regulatory diplomas, they need to be applied for individually from IBO and you need to have a reason for it (i.e. med school in certain countries).

I think deissi is right as i had to state the reason why im choosing 3 science subjects., but what i thought was that any school can allow its students to do so. in poland you also have to take 3 sci to apply for medical school but thats not where im goin ;)

It depends what you're doing in university.

I'm going into the medical field and I only took biology and chemistry and that was fine. Physics isn't really a required field for medicine.

Same thing goes for engineering..physics and chem are required, but not biology UNLESS you're doing biochemical engineering (but this isn't usually a first year uni program).

I think doing 3 sciences is really time consuming..especially if you do chem HL (which most unis require if you're going into medicine/engineering). Even if you took all 3 sciences at SL, it's going to be really tough. I don't suggest doing it unless you're absolutely sure your uni will require it.

Ok so yeah it is possible to do 3 sciences without going to mental hospital

in fact im doing all three and this year i took all hl courses, for the final year im dropping physics to sl

you dont have to take 7 subjects when taking all three sci. you'll just be an irregular diploma student

as far as i know those 3 sci are not specially rewarded by unis but sometimes its necessary for medical school applicants

the most important thing is that when uni needs 2hl sci you have one in hand if by any chance you failed in any other which may somehow help you.

ppl say it is hard and it is but when taking any of humanities you also have to do ia instead of labs

Thanks so much!!! I talked to my IB co-ordinator today. She said exactly the same thing haha

But I will have to tell her that I want to be a vet. I have no idea why. But apparently vet schools require 3 sciences...

:)

Thanks so much!!! I talked to my IB co-ordinator today. She said exactly the same thing haha

But I will have to tell her that I want to be a vet. I have no idea why. But apparently vet schools require 3 sciences...

:)

Hey, I want to be a vet too haha! In Australia, you can go straight into the vet program right away, right?

I can't do that in Canada..veterinary medicine is like medicine/law..it's a 4 year graduate program here. So I'm going into a pre-med program to prep me for the MCAT (entrance exam for vets/doctors) but they accepted me based on my high school translated marks and my predicted IB grades rather than my actual IB grades.

I only needed chem and bio to be accepted into the pre-med program though.

• 2 weeks later...

If you really need it then its a must. But up to my knowledge, I do not think that you actually need to do all 3 sciences, btw theres more than 3 with design tech, environmental systems. Anyways, my personal advise dont do it. IB wants us to do a subject in every feild, why do extra when indeed your already gaining from other subjects.

• 3 weeks later...

I took two sciences but would have loved to take a third had I been allowed.

I don't think you'd go crazy although all those IAs might be a pain... :bawling:

Edit:

they need to be applied for individually from IBO and you need to have a reason for it (i.e. med school in certain countries).

I didn't know non-regulatory diplomas existed. :0 Goes to say how informed most of us are prior to joining IB.

Edited by moneyfaery

i would not advise u to take up to 3 science subject.. u will be loaded with lab reports.. better off choose subject from other groups as well

I would argue against since if you take assesment into account I think doing labs is easier then portfolios or courseworks. For example i would rather do 3 bio lab reports rather than doing economics portfolio or geograpgy coursework. Plus I also have a friend doing all three sciences. He doesnt really struggle except for physics which he finds hard otherwise i think he is doing well.

But again sometimes it is good to have variety in your report which wont be the case if three sciences are taken.

Well, I just filled out my IB options sheet for next year.

Soon I will have to have an interview with our much er 'loved' IB coordinator.

Questions:

1) Would you survive doing 3 Sciences? My friend tells me I will be carried to the Mental Hospital if I choose all 3 sciences.

2) Would universities regard doing 3 sciences as a drawback?

Any other suggestions would be great!

Thanks!! 8-)

If you're going to Vet School in Australia, you don't need 3. I don't know about New Zealand. Generally the most importance is placed on your prerequisite subjects, that's where unis look first. So think closely about it--you may not need Physics, for example. And you really have to come to an informed decision--this is half of your diploma. Check out the syllabi, talk to past students.

As far as I'm aware, people in one of the Scandinavian countries (Maybe Norway) are already doing so to qualify into Medical School.

That's true in Sweden, but, at least in my school, we're offered a biology course beside the IB, to be able to get into Medical school.

I am happy to do all 3 in 2 years, but please, in SL only. Maybe I am not a genius in science, but I believe doing all 3 at HL is a journey in a desert.

Hahahar.. journey in a desert? LOL

Well, I chose 3 sciences at last.. and I am waiting for them to be approved which is taking a long long time..

Now it's time for me to decide whether I should take them all at HL..

I really don't think it's wise. I seriously can't imagine what HL Physics would be like...

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of doing 3 IB sciences, why not do a science during the summer? I'm taking Bio 12 non IB during the summer as Bio 11 isn't a pre requisite for Bio 12 ( don't know why actually). But my IB Coordinator told me that Physics is required for many science departments, because most people don't go straight into med, so i'm taking Chem and Physics IB, and Bio 12 during the summer.