History Paper 1 Communism in Crisis!

Vioh

Hi,

As the exams are coming closer and with all the 6 subjects to study for, I really don't have time to review everything. Thus I am trying to think of a short-cut. As I looked through the old exams for history paper 1 communism in crisis, i noticed that in the years that are even (i.e. May 2010 & 2012), students would be tested on China; while for those years that are odd (i.e. May 2011, May 2013), collapse of USSR & Eastern Europe would be tested instead. So assuming that this trend will continue, i think that for this year (May 2014), paper 1 is going to be about China. So my question is: Would it be wise to only study for China or would it be too risky?

Thanks!

i would personally say that that is really risky. Realistically we have no idea what the examiners are going to ask for, we can assume but we don't know for sure. If by luck China came up and thats all you studied for then that is fantastic but if the USSR and Eastern Europe comes up then your honestly quite screwed. I'd look over what you really don't know or don't remember for both China and the USSR and Eastern Europe, and just briefly look at the areas that you feel confident in to minimise the time you spend revising it. Best of luck though!

I don't really think you will be "screwed" as the person above me said if Russia come out.

TBH, for paper 1, you don't really need to know anything apart from the last question. All the answers are in the source and for the last question, if you only use the sources and not your own knowledge, you can still score 4 out of 6 marks. Keeping in mind that for the May 2013 paper, you needed 18/25 marks in Paper 1 was a 7, so I think you can study China only if you have don't time for the other topics

Edited by iamyourmum
  • Like 1

I don't really think you will be "screwed" as the person above me said if Russia come out.

TBH, for paper 1, you don't really need to know anything apart from the last question. All the answers are in the source and for the last question, if you only use the sources and not your own knowledge, you can still score 4 out of 6 marks. Keeping in mind that for the May 2013 paper, you needed 18/25 marks in Paper 1 was a 7, so I think you can study China only if you have don't time for the other topics

I like this answer. Paper 1 is the easiest for sure. I think you should quickly review both Russia and China so you have some facts fresh in your head, and then study elsewhere.

By the way, interesting pattern you picked up. I'd be interested to hear if your paper does have China on it. Then when I go next year, it'll be one more data point telling me to focus on USSR :D

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hi,

As the exams are coming closer and with all the 6 subjects to study for, I really don't have time to review everything. Thus I am trying to think of a short-cut. As I looked through the old exams for history paper 1 communism in crisis, i noticed that in the years that are even (i.e. May 2010 & 2012), students would be tested on China; while for those years that are odd (i.e. May 2011, May 2013), collapse of USSR & Eastern Europe would be tested instead. So assuming that this trend will continue, i think that for this year (May 2014), paper 1 is going to be about China. So my question is: Would it be wise to only study for China or would it be too risky?

Thanks!

So, what did you find out? Was it about China? ;)

SO CURIOUS!  :D  :o

It really does make one extremely curious! :D

You're from Denmark, woop ! :-)

I am indeed, studying in Italy though. And you're Danish as well ;)

WAUW. Awesome, what are studying in Italy! It sounds super cool!

I am at a UWC school, selected by the Danish national committee :D Just IB, but still super cool!

I am at a UWC school, selected by the Danish national committee :D Just IB, but still super cool!

You are lucky! So that is your finishing IB2 or do you have any exams? So it is not university? :D

You are lucky! So that is your finishing IB2 or do you have any exams? So it is not university? :D

It is normal IB, second year, and I have my exams in May :) I won't go to university before late august or early september!

It is normal IB, second year, and I have my exams in May :) I won't go to university before late august or early september!

I see that you have written your application for university, right? Which one are you choosing?  8-)

I see that you have written your application for university, right? Which one are you choosing?  8-)

I am not at all sure yet... If I won't get more offers, I think I'll choose Aberdeen, but if I will.. Then I don't know :D

Haha, it was about USSR (Gorbachev, in particular). The IB was smarter & trickier than I had thought lol. Luckily, nobody in my class listened to me, not even myself :P So it didn’t go too bad, cuz I also studied for USSR as well. So my advice is: Study Everything ;) cuz IB is real nasty!

Haha, it was about USSR (Gorbachev, in particular). The IB was smarter & trickier than I had thought lol. Luckily, nobody in my class listened to me, not even myself :P So it didn’t go too bad, cuz I also studied for USSR as well. So my advice is: Study Everything ;) cuz IB is real nasty!

Well, I am pretty sure that it will then be about China this year.. But! I guess I'll study everything anyway! ;)