ToK Essay formulating a knowledge issues and help with one area of knowledge!

dooooooops

Hey! So, I've decided to use mathematics as an area of knowledge which seek to describe the world. But, I can't seem to think of examples or ideas to support my claim for mathematics as an aok that seeks to describe the world. My claim is that maths is something that hasn't changed for the past hundred years and it just describes knowledge, it has been explained and taught past generations and generations.

Also, I need to make a knowledge issue for this question, "Some areas of knowledge seek to describe the world, whereas others seek to transform it.”

I guess I could say, How certain are we able to rely on the fact that the arts transform knowledge and mathematics describe knowledge?. (I would appreciate some comments on this)

• 2 weeks later...

That is an interesting investigation you have there. One example that I can think of, of how maths describes the world, is the existence of the golden ratio. Natgeo does a good explanation of it, especially with the attraction between people, but you can investigate it in terms of nature as well. The danger is that the golden ratio is also used in classical music, typically symphonies, which then branches off into art.

Another argument you can make is how maths can be seen as another language of its own, with symbols representing words. For example, the sign '+" means plus or addition, which has different names/called differently in different language, but when the symbol is written down, everyone regardless of language knows what it means. So it is describing an action/calculation that you have to take. Then that can lead you to the WOK of language and so on.

Hope these initial ideas will help you narrow down to other examples etc. Good luck!