General Examination Inquiries

Angad Sharma

could your teacher have gotten confused, as on the example of how to fill out your cover sheet, I believe it says 04 so she might think you can only have four sheets. Definitely go and complain to someone, it could lose you a lot of marks for something that isn't your fault!!

Hey Everyone!

So I log onto IBS after a long day of Geo and German only to found out that the answer sheets on the Math exams, Geo P1 and upcoming science papers are pure evil. I have been getting many messages after posting a terrified status update on IBS and thought it would make sense if everyone could share the information they received from their coordinators (or elsewhere). On my end, we were not told anything about not being able to write outside the boxes. :o:(

If this were the case and it were a cardinal sin to do so, wouldn't the IBO write this in the instruction on the main cover of the exams? :read::read:

Thanks in advance, people! :)

Be on the safer side and DON'T write outside the box!! A lot of people are being confused about this thing...some are saying the whole page is scanned..some are saying only the boxes...but i advice you to write inside the boxes just in case :) Good luck!

• Like 1

Speculation is the mother of all evil.

so its not true?

Of course not. Unless the outside of the box was specifically marked as "Do not write here", the IBO understands that handwriting styles differ amongst people and that people have different ways attacking questions.

The papers are sent by express courier outside of your school and nobody has time to scan each separate answer.

We were told to write on additional answer sheets if we don't have enough space, just to label the answer clearly both in the box and on the sheet. sth like 'continued on answer sheet numer 01' and 'continued question 1' on the sheet.

Yes, it is true for some exams (afaik, Maths SL and the sciences paper 2). An e-mail from the IBO:

"You are right that the answers should be written inside the box as the exams are scanned to be sent to examiners. We will be understanding to the fact that you were not informed of this, however, and make sure that you are not negatively affected by this oversight. We will not deduct marks for this mistake.

It would also be very useful if you could speak with your diploma coordinator about this issue, as it is important that all students are informed about this to avoid any possible problems that may arise."

• Like 1

Yes, it is true for some exams (afaik, Maths SL and the sciences paper 2). An e-mail from the IBO:

"You are right that the answers should be written inside the box as the exams are scanned to be sent to examiners. We will be understanding to the fact that you were not informed of this, however, and make sure that you are not negatively affected by this oversight. We will not deduct marks for this mistake.

It would also be very useful if you could speak with your diploma coordinator about this issue, as it is important that all students are informed about this to avoid any possible problems that may arise."

Thank you, Cynthia! So all of us are safe for now? :) I'll speak to my Coordinator first thing on Monday!

Our coordinator specifically said all answers need to stay within the boxes and on the lines. Some of this years tests are being selected for a new thing IB is doing where they scan the tests and send an electronic copy to the graders instead of sending the giant stacks of papers. The scanner only scans in the lines (for short answer stuff) and boxes (like on the math exams). If you need more space however you can request the IB lined paper (the stuff you write your essays on for A1 and B languages for example) and those will be scanned also and sent with the rest of your answers.

@Rachel, instructions didn't say anything about it. So no, you should be fine with either you did. On the left side of the paper you used you were supposed to write which question and part of the question you were on (e.g. 3a or 5cii) so the grader knows what's going on :)

Edited by Drake Glau

Be on the safer side and DON'T write outside the box!! A lot of people are being confused about this thing...some are saying the whole page is scanned..some are saying only the boxes...but i advice you to write inside the boxes just in case :) Good luck!

I thought at the beginning of every paper it reads "Continue writing below the lines if necessary"?

It turns out my IB-coordinator was indeed misinformed - grossly. I think I'm gonna complain in school after my Paper 3 on monday.

But it's okay because I didn't lose a lot of marks.

And I'm quite sure that you can continue writing below the lines. (I mean, even if they're scanning the papers, wouldn't it be quite stupid to only scan the region covered by the lines?)

Hello,

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. But it is related to exams.

For the papers of chemistry and physics is the school obliged to provide you with an up to date data booklet. In other words is the data booklet specific to each examination session? I ask this because I have found (while doing past papers) that some values change between each year. For example if I'm using the 2007 data booklet to do a 2010 past paper I get wrong answers for calculations because the values in the mark scheme and the values in the data booklet are different.

So does the school need to provide you with a current data booklet or can it just photocopy data booklets from the past?