General Examination Inquiries

Angad Sharma

Does anyone know if there are any considerations if your calculator fails during the exam? during my math studies paper 1 it stoped working (I have the worst luck ever apparently). I left several problems without answering because of it, the coordinators gave me a replacement calculator with like only 10 minutes left and you could guess how worried and stressed I was to keep working properly.

I hope this is the right place to ask, excuse my bad english.

Are you supposed to write the number of the booklet on the answer booklet (e.g. 1/4 if you've written 4 and it is the first)?

If so, I have a BIG problem, as I have not done it for any of the exams, and I've done 10 exams! I have looked at the front page each time, but haven't seen a place to write it, and the invigilators have not said anything about it... In addition, when I've started on a new booklet, I haven't written the question number again. What I suddenly thought of was that they are sent to be scanned, and if the string tag is taken off and the booklets mixed, it will make it EXTREMELY hard for the examiners to interpret the order and what goes where, especially in History HL P3. Seeing as I have 4 exams left, so at least I have the chance to do it right on those..,

I didn't write in digital numbers for the candidate numbers... or the question numbers... what will happen to me!?

Hey there! Most likely nothing will happen to you this year, as the system is completely new and IBO has prepared for a lot of mistakes. However, keep in mind to next time that you read carefully the instructions to candidates (whether that is an IB examination or exams at university) before you do anything else. Next year, for instance, I'd assume they won't be as lenient.

I didn't write in digital numbers for the candidate numbers... or the question numbers... what will happen to me!?

Hey there! Most likely nothing will happen to you this year, as the system is completely new and IBO has prepared for a lot of mistakes. However, keep in mind to next time that you read carefully the instructions to candidates (whether that is an IB examination or exams at university) before you do anything else. Next year, for instance, I'd assume they won't be as lenient.

I truly admire your patience @alefal. This is like your 10th post about the same thing that I've seen this month and people are still freaking out about those booklets XD

just sayin' ;)

Edited by maereth
  • Like 1

I truly admire your patience @alefal. This is like your 10th post about the same thing that I've seen this month and people are still freaking out about those booklets XD

just sayin' ;)

Hehe, well, someone ought to calm them down too, and I'm not too sure how a 'learn how to search, kid' post would do that. :P Cheers!

• Like 2

Hello everybody! I have a question concerning the answer sheets. My brother has just finished his exams (I´ve done my IB Diploma 2 years ago ;) ) and he did not write every answer on a seperate sheet (he said he realized today that it should be done this way). Is this a problem? I doubt it but he is really concerned so I would like to clarify this.

And of course: good luck to all of you who are still having exams!

And CONGRATS to all who have already finished them.

Enjoy your holidays!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hello everybody! I have a question concerning the answer sheets. My brother has just finished his exams (I´ve done my IB Diploma 2 years ago ;) ) and he did not write every answer on a seperate sheet (he said he realized today that it should be done this way). Is this a problem? I doubt it but he is really concerned so I would like to clarify this.

Enjoy your holidays!

Yeah do we get penalized if we don't start every question on a new page in the answer booklets? (Section B Math SL/HL for example)

Enjoy your holidays!

Yeah do we get penalized if we don't start every question on a new page in the answer booklets? (Section B Math SL/HL for example)

My school gave us all an "Answer Booklet Guide" from the IBO. In the guide, the IB says to "Leave at least one line space between each answer."

It doesn't say anything about starting a question on a new page, only to leave a line between each answer/question - presumably for clarity.

I can't imagine that if you accidentally forget to leave a line that the IB would penalise you for this.. I really don't believe they'd do such a thing. There's also probably quite a lot of candidates out of the thousand IB candidates that don't properly leave a one line space, (or start questions on new pages), so penalising for the formatting of answers would just be ridiculous.

So basically what I'm saying is.. I don't believe that it's necessary to start every question on a new page and that I sincerely doubt that you'd get penalised for incorrect formatting of answers. Hope this helps! :)

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I'm writing my Italian self-taught paper 2 exam in a few days.

Does anyone know if we are allowed to bring our 3 texts studied into the exam. My supervisor said no...but i can't understand how we are meant to quote the texts if we don't have them with us!

Thank you!

Hi,

I'm writing my Italian self-taught paper 2 exam in a few days.

Does anyone know if we are allowed to bring our 3 texts studied into the exam. My supervisor said no...but i can't understand how we are meant to quote the texts if we don't have them with us!

Thank you!

You are not allowed to bring texts into the exam. You should have memorized a few key quotes from each work as you were working through them. If you haven't, spend some time doing that :P. It doesn't have to be a word-for-word quotation, you don't need to know page numbers, etc. But a few from each, maybe some representing different themes, would be good to drop into your essay.

• 2 weeks later...

http://pilotpen.us/brands/vball/vball-rt/

this is a pen I'm currently using.

Some of my friends say that this pen is not allowed.

The only type of pen not allowed is the erasable one (and of course, only blue and black are allowed). They may have gotten confused because on the conduct of examinations page, the example it gave for erasable pens was from pilot?

Make sure to ask though, but as far as I know there is no reason for that not to be used.

Okay guys I'm freaking out and my IB coordinator is too busy running exams for me to ask him.

On my very first paper, I wrote 01 in the question box thing and 03 on the other paper because I didn't read instructions properly. Will this affect the reading of my answers in anyway?

Okay guys I'm freaking out and my IB coordinator is too busy running exams for me to ask him.

On my very first paper, I wrote 01 in the question box thing and 03 on the other paper because I didn't read instructions properly. Will this affect the reading of my answers in anyway?

I think you'll just confuse the examiners... I'd suggest you go see your IB coordinator though.

Quick question: If I use multiple answer booklets do I have to write the question number (in the box on the left of the paper) in each one?

I think you'll just confuse the examiners... I'd suggest you go see your IB coordinator though.

Quick question: If I use multiple answer booklets do I have to write the question number (in the box on the left of the paper) in each one?

You mean if you change the booklet in the middle of an answer/essay? If that's what you mean, then yes, you have to.