General Examination Inquiries

Angad Sharma

dont worry about it, they won't take marks off for something like that... they just want it on a new page becuase it's easier for the markers, especially if your working is all over the place!

You'll be fine, as long as you clearly labelled the question, noone will care if you wrote it on a seperate page or not :)

Hey guys!

I know for Chemistry Paper 1, we are not allowed to have a Data Booklet. But what about for physics? I've been asking my coordinator and my teacher and the answers I get are ambiguous! I just want to make sure, so that I don't end up expecting (and inevitably relying on) getting a Data Booklet for the physics exam!

Cheers!

Well our DP coordinator told us that the exams are being scanned this year for marking, and that anything out of the boxes will not be marked.

If so, why do written exams have margin markers on all corners?

What happens if we write out of the boxes. For some papers the boxes were so small and writing on separate answer sheets made me lose so much time.

Do you have any further knowledge on this??

Thnx in advance.

Well our DP coordinator told us that the exams are being scanned this year for marking, and that anything out of the boxes will not be marked.

If so, why do written exams have margin markers on all corners?

What happens if we write out of the boxes. For some papers the boxes were so small and writing on separate answer sheets made me lose so much time.

Do you have any further knowledge on this??

Thnx in advance.

I've talked to my DP coordinator about this already. He said that instead of sending the paper directly to the examiner, he sends it to a scanning center (don't know where) and they scan it and upload it to a system where IB examiners can mark it. So anything outside the boxes will not be picked up by the scanner. So if you answer is outside the box, it won't be read.

The only subjects that are going for scanning I believe are Sciences, Math Studies and Math SL, and Geography. Everything else is being sent to the examiners and not scanned.

I was doing my Chemistry SL TZ2 Paper 2 the previous week and I THINK I forgot to put in my candidate number.

I'm really worried. Is it ok since I have the cover page with my candidate number attached or are IB markers going to be anal and not mark the whole thing?

Good lord...

The IB Coordinators check everything before sending it off, so I wouldn't worry :)

They sealed the envelope in front of the whole class after the exam. Did you mean they check the papers before putting it in the envelope or do they open the envelope later and check again before sending off? If it is the former, I'm still screwed, because the teachers who collected my paper were... inattentive

The supervisor/invigilator is obliged to check if you number is written everywhere where necessary when you finish your work. Therefore I don't think that you really forgot to do it.

And if such a coincidence realy happened, then I think that the one who supervised the exam will have more problems than you - though it's their duty to check these things...

Don't panic, everything must be alright. :)

I think as long as all the papers stay attached (like with the tag) then it should be fine :) so you forgot to write your candidate number in all the pages or just some ??

It was paper 2, so the only place I needed to write was the front page. I have the cover sheet with my candidate number and name and everything attached with the tag, but I'm just afraid that IBO will disregard my paper simply because I did not write my candidate number on the exam itself, since IBO is pretty much notorious for being very strict about things like that.

Do they check the things once again before sending it out? My school is VERY wishywashy about checking, one student almost had his first draft of his EE sent instead of his final draft which would've royally screwed him over

The supervisor/invigilator is obliged to check if you number is written everywhere where necessary when you finish your work. Therefore I don't think that you really forgot to do it.

And if such a coincidence realy happened, then I think that the one who supervised the exam will have more problems than you - though it's their duty to check these things...

Don't panic, everything must be alright. :)

Thanks. I'm just so stressed out and nervous. I made countless careless mistakes in my exams because im so jittery.

The IBO would be obliged to mark it since you have a coverpage on it. However, the major issue here is if the examiner takes the tag off to mark your paper and then not know its yours. It is recommended that the IB coordinator is there for every exam to start and end it, not necessarily invigilate however your IB coordinator should be the one who ensures that the right papers are given out in the beginning and that candidate numbers, section/option questions, page numbers are written clearly on everything attached to the coversheet.

Well, look on the bright side, if nobody else actually forgets to write their candidate numbers from the bunch that the examiner will be marking from, then he/she will definitely know its yours. However, this will cause them more trouble, and angry examiners are not always a good way to go

Hi everyone,

All right, so, today we did our Biology Paper 3. This isn't about what was specifically in there or anything, just a question on some consequences of some misinformation...

I knew that we were allowed to use calculators in Paper 3, because I actually read through all that again yesterday. Problem is, for some ridiculous reason, our Biology teacher/IB coordinator told the invigilators and all of us test-takers that we were not allowed to use them. I was obviously in disbelief, and after the exam started, I asked twice to two different invigilators, and they both told me that I wasn't allowed to use it.

Obviously, there were simple questions that required you to use it. But since I had to follow the rules, I did the calculations by hand. I checked with the calculator after the test, and I got the right answers, but I still wasted a lot of time calculating something that could have taken seconds, and that gave me less time for other questions...

Now. What would happen if my teacher sent an email to the IB acknowledging his mistake? Would the test be cancelled and they would only look at your predicted score for the final Biology score? Would they not count that one question where you needed to use a calculator?

I'm done with IB for good, but I still want to know.

Thanks.

Be on the safer side and DON'T write outside the box!! A lot of people are being confused about this thing...some are saying the whole page is scanned..some are saying only the boxes...but i advice you to write inside the boxes just in case :) Good luck!

I thought at the beginning of every paper it reads "Continue writing below the lines if necessary"?

It turns out my IB-coordinator was indeed misinformed - grossly. I think I'm gonna complain in school after my Paper 3 on monday.

But it's okay because I didn't lose a lot of marks.

And I'm quite sure that you can continue writing below the lines. (I mean, even if they're scanning the papers, wouldn't it be quite stupid to only scan the region covered by the lines?)

I continued way below the lines on some papers, like english, and i had like 7 papers :(

I'm freaking out so much right now- could they just not see it at all and i fail?? That would be kind of mean :(