IB Physics HL - paper 1 and 2

ghjk

So I think 24hrs is up at least according to my local time. So how did everyone find physics P1 and 2? For me P1 was challenging however not extremely difficult. Paper 2 was amazing and I have understood every question... I am referring to TZ2

I found it was average. Certainly gave off a different vibe than previous papers. I did the SHM and the Electricity Option. I got through the entire paper and didn't think so much of the difficulty. I certainly found that Thermodynamics (Topic I love) and Mechanics (Topic I don't Understand) was the most alluring and deadly combo!

Paper one: Hell. really, Satan himself created the questions. Especially the one about the train and observer and the Doppler effect. And i was so nervous because it was the first paper, so i got the first page wrong (found units of Force instead of energy/ Found average velocity instead of instantaneous velocity)

Paper two:

Section A was different, The part about the robot and CCD i am sure i got it wrong, but i know i used the right method. The rest were pretty fun. The Data analysis question was tough though.

Section B was easier than A. Chose 6 and 9, pretty decent, but contained very bizarre questions. But i feel confident.

• Like 2

I thought that these two exams were the most difficult I have ever seen! (TZ2) especially paper 2 which was hell.

For paper 1 there was a question about newton's third law, asking what is needed for it to apply. Is it momentum or momentum and kinetic energy?

Edited by SeifAdam
  • Like 1

I found paper 1 (Tz2) really easy compared to the other years! Paper 2 had really some strange questions, but it was okay (even though the part of mechanics in q9 wasn't as easy as i expected it to be).

Whoop Paper 1 & 2!

Physics was OK I found. I found paper 1 ok but ridiculous. You had to memorize Uranium 235 was the fuel, and for the one about doppler effect you really had to just do elimination.. I mean, of the four options, the first one was obviously not it. If you've been near cars, you'd know that the tone changes and stuff. The rest was elimination, there was no physics involved!

There are quite a few I'm scared about, but seriously paper 1 was annoying, I really don't know if I did well or not.

Paper 2 seemed ok, I guess. I completely messed up the one with the CCD and the robot, resolution was already my weak point and then the CCD just completely screwed things up. I picked options 7 & 9, I found 7 to be a godsend! It was sorta weird looking, but it was SHM and Digital Tech, along with a bit of waves working. Digital Tech was only a little part and the SHM was easy, provided you remembered a = -omega^2 x

Option 9 was terrible! thermal and kinematics seemed deceptively easy, but oh my God did I get mixed up in the kinematics. I only later realized I would've done 6 much better, but it was too late by then. Hope it goes well :(

I thought that these two exams were the most difficult I have ever seen! (TZ2) especially paper 2 which was hell.

For paper 1 there was a question about newton's third law, asking what is needed for it to apply. Is it momentum or momentum and kinetic energy?

Actually for that question it was that the law always applies. I actually answered it only applies when energy is conserved which is wrong :/

• Like 1

Im in TZ0. I found Paper 1 to be alright, but Paper 2 was just insane.

The Data Analysis was completely different to other past papers.

And the major topics which usually came up in past papers did not show up at all on this exam. In Section B i did question 8 & 9. Question 9 at least was big mistake, I thought I would understand it but when i was half way through i realized that SHM would of been better option.

All my colleagues found it hard, in every school in Portugal as well. It seems like the IB wants to make it difficult this year, maybe because everyone last year, at least at my school passed with exceptionally good grades.

I'm not even joking, I spent the first 20 Minutes just reading the paper. I was soo taken aback by the paper. Question 9 had Easy Thermodynamics at first but then the flip side contained what hell forgot to let loose.
I'm surprised a lot of people didn't do the Electricity And the SHM Question. It was probably the easiest of the Batch. unless you understand EPCC.

The paper 1 question on Brewster's angle almost fooled me. They labeled the wrong angle.

On paper 2, the only question I know I didn't get was from question 9. It was to do with a car moving around a track and needing 1500N friction per wheel. Couldn't figure out what I was meant to do.

Oh well. I found the paper tricky, but OK.

The paper 1 question on Brewster's angle almost fooled me. They labeled the wrong angle.

On paper 2, the only question I know I didn't get was from question 9. It was to do with a car moving around a track and needing 1500N friction per wheel. Couldn't figure out what I was meant to do.

I hate to break this to you, but the angle was correct. I also got this question wrong. The correct answer was tan(1/n) :S

• Like 2

I hate to break this to you, but the angle was correct. I also got this question wrong. The correct answer was tan(1/n) :S

I hate to break it back, but that's the answer I got :)

They labeled the angle to the sea rather than the angle to the normal, so you couldn't use the Brewster's angle equation directly, you had to find the inverse.

Isn't it tan(n)?, I don't underatand why was it 1/n. I knew the question was too easy to be true, but I didn't do anything about it

Isn't it tan(n)?, I don't underatand why was it 1/n. I knew the question was too easy to be true, but I didn't do anything about it

That's what I got the first time too. The idea is that the angle labeled here is the correct one for using the equation in the data booklet: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/65/Brewsters-angle.svg/250px-Brewsters-angle.svg.png

However, the angle that was labeled was the angle made with the sea. If you play with that you'll see it's arctan(1/n)

• Like 1

That question was just ridiculous, I doubt most people even know about that identity!

You don't have to. What I did was to split the angle into x and y, and saw that these were flipped in this case.

Thus, it's adjacent/opposite, rather than opposite/adjacent, which is 1/tan.

Paper 1 went pretty ok for me. Some questions were quite challenging (like the question about Brewster angle, or the question with refractive index), but i worked them out at last. However paper 2 was just like hell. I even got stuck on the 1st question (so embarrassing). Section B (with question 6, and 9) was much harder, & trickier than previous years in my opinions. I normally got like 80-85 points in the past exams; but for this year, im sure that im not gonna get pass 70