Physics Sl TZ2. May 2014 Discussion P1 & P2

Firas Hommos

Really? I thought they were a joke! Paper 1 I was only unsure on a few of the questions, like the damping one. Paper 2 was a gift, I thought. I answered the second question in Section B, with Simple Harmonic Motion, Wave Phenomena, and Electric/Magnetic fields. I walked out super confident.

• Like 1

I think here at least, Paper 1 was hard and paper two was not as hard but still hard. I chose the Nuclear Physics and Thermal energy option B and thought that went alright. Glad its all over with now though haha.

Really? I thought they were a joke! Paper 1 I was only unsure on a few of the questions, like the damping one. Paper 2 was a gift, I thought. I answered the second question in Section B, with Simple Harmonic Motion, Wave Phenomena, and Electric/Magnetic fields. I walked out super confident.

How did you do the last question about measuring current? I didn't know how to use the mass per unit length...

I tried to use F = BIL but i got nowhere.

I was super confident in my paper 1 TZ2 but afterwards I went through the book and realized I got quite a bit wrong.

• Like 3

How did you do the last question about measuring current? I didn't know how to use the mass per unit length...

I was super confident in my paper 1 TZ2 but afterwards I went through the book and realized I got quite a bit wrong.

Yeah, you were on the right track! You got the direction of the force of the magnetic field on the wire and you got that the net force was 0. That means that the upward force from the field was the same as the weight acting on the wire. In practice, that's BIL = mg. That means BI = (m/L)g, and m/L was the mass per unit length. I thought it was a bit confusing the way it was presented as well.

• Like 1

I did the second question in section B too! And I also couldn't figure out the last question because I didn't know what the length of the tube was... Because mass per unit length does not give you the mass of the tube, right?

Apart from that, I thought the paper was good. Much more difficult than previous years, but still manageable if you were well prepared for it. And I finished early ^.^

• Like 1

I had the same feeling right!!!! That question in section B seemed to be the easiest of them all!!!

Yeah, you were on the right track! You got the direction of the force of the magnetic field on the wire and you got that the net force was 0. That means that the upward force from the field was the same as the weight acting on the wire. In practice, that's BIL = mg. That means BI = (m/L)g, and m/L was the mass per unit length. I thought it was a bit confusing the way it was presented as well.

Okay I also did the same thing... but here is what I did.... I said that BIL + ma (acceleration of free fall)= 0 , and then I said BIL= mg... So I calculated mg.... and then finally said I= mg/BL .... I know this would get marks but would it get 2/3 marks

Okay I also did the same thing... but here is what I did.... I said that BIL + ma (acceleration of free fall)= 0 , and then I said BIL= mg... So I calculated mg.... and then finally said I= mg/BL .... I know this would get marks but would it get 2/3 marks

Yeah, your formula's correct! It can be rewritten as I = (m/L)*g/B, into which you need to substitute the values. If you didn't do that last step, I'd assume you get 2 marks.

• Like 1

Is it time yet to talk about P3?

hess its been more than 24 hours .. I think it was easier than paper2 but also not as easy as last year, and there was hard questions

I agree.... Paper 3 was such a breeze though!!!! I think it depends on options... I did option A and E and they haven't given any DIFFICULT question.... Actually for one Astrophysics questions I swear I saw it in a past paper :D ... Anyways who ever did option E, can you tell me the period that you have deduced for the Cepheid Variable graph?

hess its been more than 24 hours .. I think it was easier than paper2 but also not as easy as last year, and there was hard questions

I agree.... Paper 3 was such a breeze though!!!! I think it depends on options... I did option A and E and they haven't given any DIFFICULT question.... Actually for one Astrophysics questions I swear I saw it in a past paper :D ... Anyways who ever did option E, can you tell me the period that you have deduced for the Cepheid Variable graph?

aha i did option A and B there there was a couple of difficult questions in option b but over all this paper was heaven compared to paper 2 :P good luck in the rest of exams :D

• Like 1

I personally thought that paper 1 was good. paper 2 was a basic nono for me haha. Paper 3 I enjoyed verry much. I did astro and medical physics. But i did stopped in the medical physics question were they've asked to calculate the muscle thickness. By then I was out, if anyone did this question can you please guide me through

i used 6.5 days for the period.. dont know though, thought it was quite difficult, how did you complete the question though? did you just use the formula in the question or did you take the formula (app and abs magnitude one) from the data booklet and substitute the M value (given equation) into the data booklet formula??

• Like 1

aha i did option A and B there there was a couple of difficult questions in option b but over all this paper was heaven compared to paper 2 :P good luck in the rest of exams :D

Thank u, u 2 :P

i used 6.5 days for the period.. dont know though, thought it was quite difficult, how did you complete the question though? did you just use the formula in the question or did you take the formula (app and abs magnitude one) from the data booklet and substitute the M value (given equation) into the data booklet formula??

Your almost right... It was 6.6 because it is the distance from the crest to crest.... I then used that value to calculate for M which i used it to substitute in the equation. For the other value (m), i deducted the minimum value from the maximum because they were talking about a variation... and therefore calculated the distance value in pc, which i converted it into meters