Biology HL TZ2 Paper 1 and 2

ibinsouthafrica

Not quite sure if I'm TZ1 or TZ2 (What's the difference), but I feel I did alright on both. I feel like I did better on paper 1 than two though because I honestly never understood transcription/ translation even though that's what I spent the majority of time studying the past few weeks. If your last question for paper 1 was on the kidney, what answer did you put? The majority of my class and I put A, but two girls (who are top of our Bio class and act like they are right 99% of the time) said the answer was C.

I think you are in TZ1, but just have faith in yourself :D You probably nailed it!

• Like 2

Not quite sure if I'm TZ1 or TZ2 (What's the difference), but I feel I did alright on both. I feel like I did better on paper 1 than two though because I honestly never understood transcription/ translation even though that's what I spent the majority of time studying the past few weeks. If your last question for paper 1 was on the kidney, what answer did you put? The majority of my class and I put A, but two girls (who are top of our Bio class and act like they are right 99% of the time) said the answer was C.

I think you are in TZ1, but just have faith in yourself :D You probably nailed it!

Yes its TZ1 because they're in America. The last question on the TZ2 paper 1 was about pregnancy BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER WE ALL NAILED IT

Edited by sameera95
  • Like 1

Yes its TZ1 because they're in America. The last question on the TZ2 paper 1 was about pregnancy BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER WE ALL NAILED IT

Totally agree, we have made it through and WE ARE AMAZING! High five to everyone :clap:

• Like 1

Totally agree, we have made it through and WE ARE AMAZING! High five to everyone :clap:

YES keep that positive attitude and we'll be sailing through paper 3 :D

• Like 1

I think IBO graders owe our whole class at least 1 mark on paper 2 because our coordinator told us not to bring anything to the exams except water because she'd provide everything we needed and she FORGOT the rulers!! My class is so ticked off that we couldn't get that easy mark.

That is TZ1, I put C as well, although it was pointing to the descending limb I imagine that they meant the loop of henle in general, which does increase the solute concentration in the tissues of the medulla :) I'm pretty confident this is correct, considering A was the glomerulus and that doesn't really fit as an answer!

Edited by patrick1996

What about that electron micrograph, to label X, it was really hard to see... looked like it was pointing to the spaces in between. I said it was ribosomes on the RER

Haha I wrote rough ER too as it said so in the source underneath the picture, also I thought I saw some dots on it, but apparently most of the other students in my class wrote golgi, which seems to be correct. At least my teacher indicated that the golgi was the right answer, as the best student in my class chose to label it golgi.

I think it is Rough ER still. it clearly had ribosomes on it.

In paper 2 section B, there were questions about muscle contractions, protein structure, Enzymes ( lock and key theory, and induced fit) etc.. I think paper one was okay, but I feel like there were some trick questions. In paper two the question about the pedigree chart, what did you all say about what type of inheritance it is?

I said autosomal recessive, but yeah, I was so tired and really not focused at all.

i just said autosomal do you think they'd still give me the mark or does it have to be autosomal recessive?

am i the only one who found the third graph really confusing? the one about depth and temperature difference

• Like 1

I found paper 1 very hard with some very tricky questions like those about production of actine or GMO. I think it was one of the hardest p1 of all times. However, p2 was very, very pleasurable to write. Data analysis was reaaaly clear and easy followed by not so difficult questions in rest of section A and section B had very nice topics I hoped for - 5 and 8 - very specific and to the point (no reproduction and no water transport in plants) so I am very happy with it :D

By the way, what did you choose on paper 1 with the question about actine and GMO?

In paper 2 section B, there were questions about muscle contractions, protein structure, Enzymes ( lock and key theory, and induced fit) etc.. I think paper one was okay, but I feel like there were some trick questions. In paper two the question about the pedigree chart, what did you all say about what type of inheritance it is?

I said autosomal recessive, but yeah, I was so tired and really not focused at all.

i just said autosomal do you think they'd still give me the mark or does it have to be autosomal recessive?

am i the only one who found the third graph really confusing? the one about depth and temperature difference

Well I think you have to mention both, but who knows, I will cross my fingers, if it is autosomal recessive then it must be autosomal so why not haha :D Also I don't mind it being the rough ER, I'm just scared as the best Biology student put Golgi...

It is more probable that it was rough ER as it is around the nucleus pointed in the photograph, while Golgi apparatus is further from the nucleus as it modifies the proteins for exocytosis/packs them into vesicles. Even though the dots could implicate vesicles, they would not be so numerous in the case of Golgi apparatus. And about your friend - everyone makes mistakes so don't worry, he/she could be wrong :)

• Like 1

I'm TZ1, although it said TZ2 on the paper...

God I really found paper 1 hard, I'm predicted a 7 but I'm quite sure that isn't even near it, it was just so hard. I thought that there were many topics which weren't covered in it also. Paper 2 on the other hand, one of the easier I've seen. I though that in section A there was very little actual factual questions. In section B I took 6 and 7, kinda blacked out on the sickle-cell question otherwise that was quite easy as well.

Oh and for the rough ER question, it must have been rough ER?? Not only because of the sourcing (WHY DO THEY DO THAT?) but I thought you could see the ribosomes on it etc quite clearly.

Edited by skandalism
  • Like 1

Yeah! I found that one soo confusing! I had written the answer to one of the questions on that graph only to realize I had looked at the graph wrong :doh: Thankfully I still had some space left and managed to fix my answer :D

So, what did you guys answer on the P1 question about environmental effects of the corn-borer toxin? I think I put something about the soil quality worsening, but I'm really not sure as I got that by cancelling all others out..

i said other iorgnisms could get killed

So, what did you guys answer on the P1 question about environmental effects of the corn-borer toxin? I think I put something about the soil quality worsening, but I'm really not sure as I got that by cancelling all others out..

i said other iorgnisms could get killed

I also said that other insects could get killed but my friend pointed out that the other wild plants could be eaten. I asked my teacher and she said that the best answer would be the one refering to the biodiversity loss but for me all of them refered up to some point to biodiversity loss..

• Like 2