Biology HL TZ2 Paper 1 and 2

ibinsouthafrica

TZ2 here:

Guys, what magnification did you work out for that cell thing in Paper 2? I got 500 somehow, but I don't really know how to calculate magnification :/ also, what section B questions did people do? I chose 6 and 7, as they were the ones I felt I could do best.

Made some silly mistakes in Paper 1 though, which I'm really regretting now. I'm hoping for a lovely P3 and not too harsh moderation if I'm to get my 6. I just really don't want a 5 :(

• Like 1

TZ2 here:

Guys, what magnification did you work out for that cell thing in Paper 2? I got 500 somehow, but I don't really know how to calculate magnification :/ also, what section B questions did people do? I chose 6 and 7, as they were the ones I felt I could do best.

Made some silly mistakes in Paper 1 though, which I'm really regretting now. I'm hoping for a lovely P3 and not too harsh moderation if I'm to get my 6. I just really don't want a 5 :(

Well from my measurements, the nucleus diameter was 4.4cm (using my ruler). I converted it to mm which was 44. Than I measured the actual size and the key was 2 micrometers = 11mm in the diagram. The diameter of the nucleus was 8 micrometers so then to work out magnification I did size of image (44mm) divided by actual size (0.008mm since I converted 8 mirometers to mm) and got 5500. Is this right?

• Like 1

TZ2 here:

you are predicted a 6 and therefore you will get a 6 :P i made a stupid mistake too: on the electron micrograph question, i put rough ER and then for the function i put modifies and packages proteins but that's the golgi not the rough er :lmao:

TZ2 here:

Well from my measurements, the nucleus diameter was 4.4cm (using my ruler). I converted it to mm which was 44. Than I measured the actual size and the key was 2 micrometers = 11mm in the diagram. The diameter of the nucleus was 8 micrometers so then to work out magnification I did size of image (44mm) divided by actual size (0.008mm since I converted 8 mirometers to mm) and got 5500. Is this right?

LOL i got 3 million something, that's definitely wrong :P

What about that electron micrograph, to label X, it was really hard to see... looked like it was pointing to the spaces in between. I said it was ribosomes on the RER

i said it was the RER itself, now you're making me doubt my answer :o

It's most definitely rER because the source of the picture was /RoughER.gif

It was golgi. The organelle was near a mitochondria, not near the nucleus. That's why it was so deceptive.

What about that electron micrograph, to label X, it was really hard to see... looked like it was pointing to the spaces in between. I said it was ribosomes on the RER

It was golgi. The organelle was near a mitochondria, not near the nucleus. That's why it was so deceptive.

well then at least i know one of my answers were right, because i put rough ER, but then for the function i got mixed up and put the function of the golgi by accident :P so it's a win-win situation haha :D

Ribosomes were embedded on its surface. I found electron microscope images like this with rER located just next to mitochondria so it doesn't matter really if it's near nucleus or not.

Ribosomes were embedded on its surface. I found electron microscope images like this with rER located just next to mitochondria so it doesn't matter really if it's near nucleus or not.

lol, link doesn't work. anyhow, here's a golgi body with dots on it: https://www.biochem.wisc.edu/faculty/bednarek/lab/images/mvb_golgi250.jpg

plus, i don't think the IB would be dumb enough to put the answer in the source of the question.

Edited by vineet777

I thought Papers 1 and 2 (TZ2) were quite easy, so much SL stuff on paper 2! I can't believe they asked 2 variants of "calculate magnification". One thing I definitely got wrong was the Actin one, where is that produced?

OMG i couldn't calculate it XD somehow i got a magnification of x 3,650,000 XD and for the measurement of the nucleus i got 8.6 micro meters. oh i put sarcoplasmic reticulum for actin production

I got x5000 and 4.3 micrometres but I have no clue if that's right, I'm not sure I converted cm to micrometres correctly o.O I put endoplasmic reticulum but hey it's only one mark :P

I thought Papers 1 and 2 (TZ2) were quite easy, so much SL stuff on paper 2! I can't believe they asked 2 variants of "calculate magnification". One thing I definitely got wrong was the Actin one, where is that produced?

OMG i couldn't calculate it XD somehow i got a magnification of x 3,650,000 XD and for the measurement of the nucleus i got 8.6 micro meters. oh i put sarcoplasmic reticulum for actin production

I got x5000 and 4.3 micrometres but I have no clue if that's right, I'm not sure I converted cm to micrometres correctly o.O I put endoplasmic reticulum but hey it's only one mark :P

THE APP. IS IT YOU!?

lol, link doesn't work. anyhow, here's a golgi body with dots on it: https://www.biochem.wisc.edu/faculty/bednarek/lab/images/mvb_golgi250.jpg

plus, i don't think the IB would be dumb enough to put the answer in the source of the question.

It's happened before, the May 13 TZ2 Paper 1 had a question about identifying organelles in electron micrographs and all 4 images had the answer in the source. It was also in a question about mitosis, they don't have a choice: they have to state the source as it is and hope the students don't notice.

TZ2 here:

I got 500 too but I'm not sure I converted the units right. I did questions 5 and 7

THE APP. IS IT YOU!?

Haha no I wish! I was revising bio while making my account on here so I ended up picking that name :)

TZ2 here:

I got a magnification answer like that! I got x6000.

Not sure how big they'll keep their answer range:/

Edited by Ibatemylife2014
  • Like 1

At first I thought it was the Golgi body too because there were many of those flattened sacs stacked on eachother but then there was something about it that looked weird.

If you look really closely, there were clearly ribosomes so I then realized it was RER

I dont know why IB would leave the source on, but I think 70% of my year doing biology wrote RER

Edited by Ibatemylife2014

At first I thought it was the Golgi body too because there were many of those flattened sacs stacked on eachother but then there was something about it that looked weird.

If you look really closely, there were clearly ribosomes so I then realized it was RER

I dont know why IB would leave the source on, but I think 70% of my year doing biology wrote RER

yeahh.. I think I am wrong now haha. sorry, CaptainCook. Hopefully there's error carry forward for the question after that?

yeahh.. I think I am wrong now haha. sorry, CaptainCook. Hopefully there's error carry forward for the question after that?

I'm sorry i didnt mean to be rude! I was just voicing my opinion :/

You could be right who knows! The IB is so unpredictable! And yeah that's true why would they put then answer in the link if it wasn't that.

So there's a chance for everything!

I'm sorry i didnt mean to be rude! I was just voicing my opinion :/

You could be right who knows! The IB is so unpredictable! And yeah that's true why would they put then answer in the link if it wasn't that.

So there's a chance for everything!

haha nono i didn't take it that way. its just I realized I'm probably wrong. Anyway, we'll all find out at July 6th at 8pm in the night, huh..

Edited by vineet777

How did everyone find the data response questions on TZ2 paper? (The ones about pinnipeds)

I thought it was very difficult and I thought I screwed up BIG TIME on that section. I was predicted a 7 and I'm so afraid of disappointing my teacher ! :(

I think paper 1 was actually difficult compared to past papers. Paper 2 was really easy though, so it balances the grade :)

About paper 1, what did you answer on question 4 which was about a micrograph and asked you to indicate the number of cells in metaphase or something?

On the question about actin production i thought about the sarcoplasmic reticulum but do they actually synthesize proteins? I ended up answering free ribosomes as actin does not need to be transferred to de Golgi apparatus in order to be packed (i think) :S

Are you guys allowed to use rulers in paper 2? cause I had to guess the length of the 2 micrometers in cm :S I got that the nucleus was about 10 micrometers and the magnification was x5000

In the identification of the organelle, we all put RER in my school as it was written under the picture, and you've got to remember that hepatic cells contain lots of mitochondria, so it doesn't relate to being close or not to a Golgi apparatus.