Biology HL TZ2 Paper 1 and 2

ibinsouthafrica

I feel so stupid now, I really couldn't tell what that micrograph was and didn't even notice the source had been left on. I won't say what I put, let's just say it's wrong. If they do error carried forward, which I doubt, at least I'll get that mark. Well, I guess my answer could be partially right, but I won't get the mark for it as I'm fairly sure the IB will say that only rER counts as the answer. It's so obvious looking at that picture now :/

I'm kind of sad to say this, but I think I'm gonna have to settle for a 5. Don't see how I'd have actually got a 6 now. As I say, a good P3 might redeem it, and if the grade boundaries are decent- anyone know the average boundaries for a 5/6?

Having said that, that Paper 2 question about the birds with the dichotomous key was fun. I actually think I got most if not all of that one right as it was relatively straight forward.

Edited by psychologystudent501

I thought Papers 1 and 2 (TZ2) were quite easy, so much SL stuff on paper 2! I can't believe they asked 2 variants of "calculate magnification". One thing I definitely got wrong was the Actin one, where is that produced?

OMG i couldn't calculate it XD somehow i got a magnification of x 3,650,000 XD and for the measurement of the nucleus i got 8.6 micro meters. oh i put sarcoplasmic reticulum for actin production

Similar screw up of calculation here weLP! it's okay it was only a few marks XD

I have to say, P2 as a SL student was a bit odd in terms of some of the questions- I remember I had literally 4 points between q2-3;

3 was state the classification of two images. I went with filicinophyta for the plant and angiospermophyta for the sponge..... which should have been porifera! oh well, I'm consoling myself with the fact that it's only one mark.

having a fried brain is so not beneficial to bio lol. I'm doing option A & G for P3; anyone else here doing the same?

oh and did anyone get the question about ratios for genotypes? I didn't understand that one at all ._.

Edited by crimson.threads

Ey guys, I think it's toooo late to share it with you guys. However, I think i will do it for those next year by then :)

The reason I know it's definitely it's the rER due to: as for many times, I looked the source. Every link of the source has the NAME OF THE PICTURE THEY WANT TO SHOW!

So.... In paper 2, i saw "/blahblah/roughER/blah" and I smiled :D

May the odds are ever in our favor

what did you guys put for the function of neurotransmitters? I put that they affect the permeability of the post synaptic neuron's membrane

I put that too! If I remember correctly, I believe neurotransmitters result in the opening of ion channels in the post-synaptic neuron, resulting in slight depolarization up to the threshold potential and thus action potential. Although I wasn't entirely sure... there were some tough questions on Paper 1.

Edited by Tinypaws
  • Like 1

I felt the paper 1 was rather difficult compared to the past papers, i was unsure about the corn question and the question about white and purple flowers =.= did it try to trick me? since it was phrased in such a way that i assumed the plant that was hetrozygous was crossed with the white.. but when it said F1, i thought does that mean the original white? and the metaphase question? now its options all the waaay!

study hard or go home

I put rough endoplasmic reticulum as welll hahhahah
and for magnification, I got 5000x : l hope the range was like 5000-6000 hahahaha
I measure the diameter and got like 4.3 cm but forgot to measure the key and assume its 1 cm D:

for me, I thought paper 1 was easier than paper 2 : l ... really hard to think of the answer for pinniped ques and that pedigree chart =.= ....

I felt the paper 1 was rather difficult compared to the past papers, i was unsure about the corn question and the question about white and purple flowers =.= did it try to trick me? since it was phrased in such a way that i assumed the plant that was hetrozygous was crossed with the white.. but when it said F1, i thought does that mean the original white? and the metaphase question? now its options all the waaay!

study hard or go home

I think i did crossin the heterozygous with the white hahahaha, but I thought that the white is recessive anyway???

For metaphase, I think I answered 3, but can't rly rmb ><

study hard or go home

I think i did crossin the heterozygous with the white hahahaha, but I thought that the white is recessive anyway???

Woops, meant original purple, i was thinking either it would be 50% 50% if F1 is the second breed, but if it is the original purple its 100%purple again :/ but then i thougt, IB wouldn't use trick questions like that so it had to be 50% 50%. I was sitting there counting all the different figures, i ended up just taking 7. i mean there were like 50 cells, a bunch were probably going through metaphase.

study hard or go home

I think the answer was 50% because it was refering to test-cross

study hard or go home

Ohhhh yeahh! I answered 50% too :DD

what did u guys answer for the one saying about single layer thick about the blood vessel one??? Im not sure but I answer capillary : l

How did everyone find the data response questions on TZ2 paper? (The ones about pinnipeds)

I thought it was very difficult and I thought I screwed up BIG TIME on that section. I was predicted a 7 and I'm so afraid of disappointing my teacher ! :(

think the first two graphs were ok, but the third one was so confusing i must've lost quite a few marks because of it :(

study hard or go home

what did u guys answer for the one saying about single layer thick about the blood vessel one??? Im not sure but I answer capillary : l

Yeah I wrote capillary too!! Because it said the plasma can leak out and from what I know, plasma can leak out from ca

study hard or go home

Yeah I wrote capillary too!! Because it said the plasma can leak out and from what I know, plasma can leak out from capillaries.

I hope the grade boundaries are going to be low this year, I think both papers were a bit tricky.

There was this question on paper 1 about actin production, I tried googling it but I couldn't find anything. What did you guys put?

That reminds me, what were some heat regulating mechanisms / adaptations that these seals could use?? i wrote vasoconstriction and shivering... but felt like my answer was kinda wrong...

What did you guys write about the classification one for paper 1?? I'm REALLYY bad at classification so I was so annoyed about that one-_-

it was that if they were in same class they belong to same phylum or something like that