Biology HL TZ2 Paper 1 and 2

ibinsouthafrica

That reminds me, what were some heat regulating mechanisms / adaptations that these seals could use?? i wrote vasoconstriction and shivering... but felt like my answer was kinda wrong...

i said it could have a layer of fat underneath the skin and thick fur

• Like 1

The question about DNA being the same in paper 1, I totally messed that up, because I wanted to answer mitosis and meiosis 2, but then I thought about crossing over and then the DNA would not be the same in meiosis 2, but all the other students in my class said that since this does not happen all the time it should be mitosis and meiosis 2. I just picked mitosis though...

That reminds me, what were some heat regulating mechanisms / adaptations that these seals could use?? i wrote vasoconstriction and shivering... but felt like my answer was kinda wrong...

What did you guys write about the classification one for paper 1?? I'm REALLYY bad at classification so I was so annoyed about that one-_-

it was that if they were in same class they belong to same phylum or something like that

I wrote shivering too!!! HAhaha couldn't think of any D:

and yeah I put that phylum thing too

What did you guys write about the classification one for paper 1?? I'm REALLYY bad at classification so I was so annoyed about that one-_-

Do you mean the one where it had a list of stuff like "same genus=same family, same class doesn't = same phylum" sort of thing? I put same class must be same phylum

For the adaptions one, I said vasorestriction, instead of vasoconstriction, do you think that will count? Also said shivering.

Edited by psychologystudent501

man :/ i was thinking of that too, but then pressure was on me, i was first thinking oh it can have hairs stick up.. but then i thought no hairs dont work in water maybe, and then i thought what if it gets really fat, but there is nothing i can remember in biology about fat insulating heat, your answers sound better though than shivering...

I hope the grade boundaries are going to be low this year, I think both papers were a bit tricky.

There was this question on paper 1 about actin production, I tried googling it but I couldn't find anything. What did you guys put?

I put sacroplasmic reticulum, but that was like pure guess hahahaah .. not really sure

and yeahh!!! hopefully the grade boundary will be low

it was that if they were in same class they belong to same phylum or something like that

was it answer A?

on a slightly unrelated topic, anyone doing option G? uuugghh i am not looking forward to writing about niches as human impact blah blah... stupid seals and their stupid temperature difference

was it answer A?

Think it was C..cant guarantee that though

on a slightly unrelated topic, anyone doing option G? uuugghh i am not looking forward to writing about niches as human impact blah blah... stupid seals and their stupid temperature difference

was it answer A?

Think it was C..cant guarantee that though

yeah im doing option G, worst option ever!

Do you mean the one where it had a list of stuff like "same genus=same family, same class doesn't = same phylum" sort of thing? I put same class must be same phylum

For the adaptions one, I said vasorestriction, instead of vasoconstriction, do you think that will count? Also said shivering.

Yes i do mean that one!! Oh nooo! I wrote the one where it said 'not' i think I said if its not in the same order its not in the same class or something:/ oh well....

And I also wrote that the seals could have a layer if fat for insulation and vasoconstriction

man :/ i was thinking of that too, but then pressure was on me, i was first thinking oh it can have hairs stick up.. but then i thought no hairs dont work in water maybe, and then i thought what if it gets really fat, but there is nothing i can remember in biology about fat insulating heat, your answers sound better though than shivering...

I wrote about vasoconstriction and shivering as both of these are mechanisms we are supposed to know in the part of homeostasis, at least it made perfect sense to me when I was writing the exam :D But whatever, what's done is done! The learning outcome is 6.5.10 Explain the control of body temperature, including transfer of heat in the blood, and the roles of the hypothalamus, sweat glands, skin arterioles and shivering

The question about DNA being the same in paper 1, I totally messed that up, because I wanted to answer mitosis and meiosis 2, but then I thought about crossing over and then the DNA would not be the same in meiosis 2, but all the other students in my class said that since this does not happen all the time it should be mitosis and meiosis 2. I just picked mitosis though...

but it said identitical, it cant have been meiosis 2... there are 4 different end results, im pretty sure its mitosis only, although crossing over does not occur all the time there is random orientation and stuff going on, there is that joke in the biology book about the twins looking alike... dry humour

• Like 1

but it said identitical, it cant have been meiosis 2... there are 4 different end results, im pretty sure its mitosis only, although crossing over does not occur all the time there is random orientation and stuff going on, there is that joke in the biology book about the twins looking alike... dry humour

Wiii, awesome, but I asked my teacher and she was like "that's wrong". But in meiosis 2 the sister chromatids separate and those are supposed to be identical if it's not for crossing over and such stuff?

Wiii, awesome, but I asked my teacher and she was like "that's wrong". But in meiosis 2 the sister chromatids separate and those are supposed to be identical if it's not for crossing over and such stuff?

Well if your teacher told you so :/ genetics was never my strong side... but i mean the genetic chapters talk so much about there being an INFINITEE AMOUNT OF VARIATION 2^23 and all that, 8mil combinations in just the random orientation part, and then adding crossing over, and yeh, i dont know but i feel mitosis is right

Well if your teacher told you so :/ genetics was never my strong side... but i mean the genetic chapters talk so much about there being an INFINITEE AMOUNT OF VARIATION 2^23 and all that, 8mil combinations in just the random orientation part, and then adding crossing over, and yeh, i dont know but i feel mitosis is right

I think that both should be accepted, because it kinda depends on how you interpret the question. If you consider everything that might happen you will chose only mitosis, but if you just look at the occurs most frequently (which the best student in my class pointed out should be the right way, and the teacher agreed with her) you will pick both mitosis and meiosis 2.

I think that both should be accepted, because it kinda depends on how you interpret the question. If you consider everything that might happen you will chose only mitosis, but if you just look at the occurs most frequently (which the best student in my class pointed out should be the right way, and the teacher agreed with her) you will pick both mitosis and meiosis 2.

I also chose the 'mitosis only' option, but I agree it is up for interpretation of what you think the question means when it says 'identical base pairs', but unfortunately Paper 1 answers are always definite :x

I wrote vasoconstriction and the seal could have thick skin :|