Biology HL TZ2 Paper 1 and 2

ibinsouthafrica

Yes i assumed the same thing. But there were two answers that seemed correct one about oxygen and second about the co2 supply and i was not sure about that

yes but during the exam i thought... well plants need Co2 but bacteria want oxygen, things usually dont flock around to help, its to get what they need and it just happen to be a mutualistic relationship then i guess (yeh i done my reading on chapter G). I don't see a benefit for the bacteria to a place where it can give off Co2 to a plant when it can give off Co2 where ever it feels like it, of course i could be mistaken

Yes i assumed the same thing. But there were two answers that seemed correct one about oxygen and second about the co2 supply and i was not sure about that

yes but during the exam i thought... well plants need Co2 but bacteria want oxygen, things usually dont flock around to help, its to get what they need and it just happen to be a mutualistic relationship then i guess (yeh i done my reading on chapter G). I don't see a benefit for the bacteria to a place where it can give off Co2 to a plant when it can give off Co2 where ever it feels like it, of course i could be mistaken

The oxygen option makes sense: "Assuming that the bacteria were congregating in regions where oxygen was being evolved in photosynthesis, Engelmann concluded that red and blue light are the most effective colors for photosynthesis."

http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/A/ActionSpectrum.html

for the question about maintaing a warm body temperature...like characteristics and adaptations...i said vasoconstriction and the fact that theyre warm blooded and thus have a balanced internal temperature...do you think that could be right??

I said that too...only I wrote vasorestriction, so hopefully they'll credit that :dontgetit:

• Like 1

for the question about maintaing a warm body temperature...like characteristics and adaptations...i said vasoconstriction and the fact that theyre warm blooded and thus have a balanced internal temperature...do you think that could be right??

I said that too...only I wrote vasorestriction, so hopefully they'll credit that :dontgetit:

I first wrote vascoconstriction and then i wrote vasoconstriction, in the same answer, wops, hope they will be nice :D

the question with the pedigree chart, what type of inheritance was it? (paper 2)

I don't know, but I put autosomal recessive :D

Hello people,

What did you write for data response questions about the difference between temperature of water and skin of animals? I think I totally misinterpreted it as I wrote that as they dive deeper, the difference between temperature of water and their skin becomes smaller.. Also, I wrote the reason for maintaining the temperature is because they have heat insluation and energy stores :(((((

Hello people,

What did you write for data response questions about the difference between temperature of water and skin of animals? I think I totally misinterpreted it as I wrote that as they dive deeper, the difference between temperature of water and their skin becomes smaller.. Also, I wrote the reason for maintaining the temperature is because they have heat insluation and energy stores :(((((

I did that aswell. There are 2 different questions. One was asking for how they may maintain heat, a function or adaptation. The other was the one you referring to and i put the exact same answer.

I think that this exam was just ridiculous. The section a, a problem with all diagrams with the ib is that they are almost always hard to read, i think i did awful on the questions 2-4 . Section B was the biggest waste, it was no where near reflective of 2 years with a lot of important topics not mentioned and the majority being standard topics but never mind I revised enough so it wasn't too much of a problem. I usually would have got 37+ in section be but i think it went down to 30+ so yes im a bit frustrated and moaning to be honest. Trying hard right now to recapture the marks through Paper 3, need virtually 36+ as my coursework wasn't great for a level 6 i reckon.

STUPID TEST TO REFLECT 2 YEARS

Psychology Higher Predicted 6

Biology Higher Predicted 6

Theatre Higher Predicted 7

Maths Studies Predicted 5

Japanese Ab Predicted 5

English Standard Predicted 5

Core Points Predicted 2

Total 36 Points

Clearing Bound

Hello people,

They were diving for shoerter period of time, but the breaks between each dives also were shorter. The depth of each dive decreased as well as the difference between the temperature of the body and water (it could also be noticed that after going out on the surface, there was increase in the body temperature). It was because there was vasoconstriction of arterioles and possibly shivering as muscles generate heat there (but I'm not sure of the second one)

Hello people,

I did that aswell. There are 2 different questions. One was asking for how they may maintain heat, a function or adaptation. The other was the one you referring to and i put the exact same answer.

I think that this exam was just ridiculous. The section a, a problem with all diagrams with the ib is that they are almost always hard to read, i think i did awful on the questions 2-4 . Section B was the biggest waste, it was no where near reflective of 2 years with a lot of important topics not mentioned and the majority being standard topics but never mind I revised enough so it wasn't too much of a problem. I usually would have got 37+ in section be but i think it went down to 30+ so yes im a bit frustrated and moaning to be honest. Trying hard right now to recapture the marks through Paper 3, need virtually 36+ as my coursework wasn't great for a level 6 i reckon.

Japanese Ab Predicted 5

Core Points Predicted 2

Total 36 Points

Clearing Bound

I swear I will kill myself.. I lost all points there :(( Now I started worrying that I will fail biology.. There were 3 parts about this stupid seals, I hope that I done at least something correct. Do you know some other questions about them, I forgot all and I would like to check whether I will gain some points. Hope that both of us will do good on paper 3.

Hello people,

Japanese Ab Predicted 5

Core Points Predicted 2

Total 36 Points

Clearing Bound

I swear I will kill myself.. I lost all points there :(( Now I started worrying that I will fail biology.. There were 3 parts about this stupid seals, I hope that I done at least something correct. Do you know some other questions about them, I forgot all and I would like to check whether I will gain some points. Hope that both of us will do good on paper 3.

Hello people,

They were diving for shoerter period of time, but the breaks between each dives also were shorter. The depth of each dive decreased as well as the difference between the temperature of the body and water (it could also be noticed that after going out on the surface, there was increase in the body temperature). It was because there was vasoconstriction of arterioles and possibly shivering as muscles generate heat there (but I'm not sure of the second one)

Great, I lost all points.. Anyhow thank you for the reply.

does anyone remember what they wrote in the lung question in paper 1? I remember there being two choices, one about gax exchange giving O2 to cellular respiration and the other about CO2 in the lungs, produced by cellular respiration, being ejected by gas exchange.. I wrote the latter, since the wording on the first one made it seem as if the gas exchange gives cellular respiration oxygen.

I put c for the kidney one because it was pointing to the loop on Henle where high solute concentration is created at least I think that was c not actually sure which ever one was point to the loop of henle, overl I found this exam to be good. I really liked the section b for time zone 1. Especially the carbon cycle question because I totally memorized the markschene for anaerobic and aerobic respiration!

does anyone remember what they wrote in the lung question in paper 1? I remember there being two choices, one about gax exchange giving O2 to cellular respiration and the other about CO2 in the lungs, produced by cellular respiration, being ejected by gas exchange.. I wrote the latter, since the wording on the first one made it seem as if the gas exchange gives cellular respiration oxygen.

If I remember correctly, I think i did the same too! The wording for the choice with O2 made it seem like the oxygen was carried to the cells by ventilation, where, as a matter of fact, it is carried by the blood. I think I chose the one about CO2.

I also wrote Rough ER for the image, without seeing the link even.

---

For where actin is produced, I realised it was a trick question since it's not mentioned directly anywhere in the syllabus. Indirectly though.. I think I got it. Actin is a protein, right? And then on the syllabus it says:

7.4.7 State that free ribosomes synthesize proteins for use primarily within the cell, and that bound ribosomes synthesize proteins primarily for secretion or for lysosomes.

Thus, I said that actin is made on free ribosomes. It's a choice on the multiple choice.

---

For the magnification, I also got 5500x.

---

Personally.. I thought Paper 2 Data Response was hard. You'll never know if you stated what they wanted you to say..

Hahaha you guys are bickering over paltry points on paper 1... I wrote off the Calvin Cycle instead of Kreb's cycle ;'( There goes my 7...soo pissed!!!!

awww hahaha I think I kinda mess up that one too, not as bad as yours though o.0

but I think you can still get 7 even if you mess that ques?? :)

Thought paper 2 was much easier than past years....partially because I'm not a fan of human physiology or genetics and not too much of those topics were in the extended answers haha. I agree, paper 1 seemed to have a few trick questions....What did you guys put for the question about the number of cells undergoing metaphase in paper 1?