Much to my disappointment, my second ACT Composite score was one point lower than my first. However, my second ACT writing score went up. When I apply at University will the ACT Composite Score and the ACT Writing Score be viewed independently? I got 30 Comp. and 8 Writing the first time, and 29 Comp. 9 Writing the second time. So in short, when I apply to University, will I be able to use the highest from both tests (30 Comp. 9 Writing)? I am concerned with this mostly because I don't want to keep paying for the Writing test (on future tests) if I don't have to. I'd like to raise my Composite a few more points, but I'm fine with the writing.

Also, what are my chances of getting into the following universities with my current scores? Northwestern University, University of Pennsylvania, Stanford, Pomona, and University of Chicago.

Thanks a lot!

The ACT works like this (taken off the ACT website):

If you wish, you may ask us to report more than one test date record to a college. However, you may not select test scores from different test dates to construct a new record; you must designate an entire test date record as it stands. ACT does not create new records by combining scores from different test dates.

So either you need to send both scores to the schools you're interested in, or pick the highest of the two.

A 30 is at the lower end of the middle 50% of admitted students range at UPenn, and lower than the middle 50% of admitted students at Northwestern, Stanford, Pomona, and UChicago by 1-2 points. It's not impossible to get in with a score of 30 at these schools because they look at the entire applicant and not just your ACT score, but you're on the lower end of the scale and these schools would all be big reaches for you. Heck, they're big reaches for most people anyways, as these have extremely low acceptance rates.

Best of luck to you. :)