GDC use in the exam....

Vioh

Hey,

I'm wondering what apps and programs I am allowed to have in my GDC (Texas Ti-84 Plus) during the math examination. The program that I have right now is Polynomial Root Finder and Simultaneous Equation Solver (PolySmlt APP) which i used all the time, but can I use it in the exam?

Thanks

Hey,

I'm wondering what apps and programs I am allowed to have in my GDC (Texas Ti-84 Plus) during the math examination. The program that I have right now is Polynomial Root Finder and Simultaneous Equation Solver (PolySmlt APP) which i used all the time, but can I use it in the exam?

Thanks

Hi! Good Luck on your exams!

I don't know about Math HL, but for Math Studies PolySmlt is allowed. Probably it is also allowed for Math HL.

Although I've never used the finance app, you should know how to use these as well because they write the exam while assuming you know these.

Is this really so? I don't think that's on the syllabus?

This is from a document for the IB, 'Use of Calculators in Examinations 2014':

9UUewBG.png

The financial package is listed (I'm assuming they meant the finance function), so you need to know how to use it. Again, I still haven't used it and I have no idea how though :P

Also, to OP as well, I found a list of apps you're allowed to have:

DyuO4TQ.png

• Like 2

Hi! I was just wondering, if I use my calculator to integrate something for example, what exactly should I write to make sure I get the marks? Do I just need to state "from GDC"? That seems way too easy for a 6 mark question. Though I suppose knowing what to integrate is part of it...

Thank you! I just want to make sure I'm not dropping easy marks, I think I'll need every mark I can get :)

Hi! I was just wondering, if I use my calculator to integrate something for example, what exactly should I write to make sure I get the marks? Do I just need to state "from GDC"? That seems way too easy for a 6 mark question. Though I suppose knowing what to integrate is part of it...

Thank you! I just want to make sure I'm not dropping easy marks, I think I'll need every mark I can get :)

The point is, if the question is worth 6pts, then obviously you need to provide a process of how you arrived to the answer. You can use the GDC to check your answer, which is always great. If it's a trivial integral, you might just put the GDC answer and if you have time put a short procedure. But in my opinion, I think the best way to do the exams is to do them without a GDC and only use it when necessary (at most unis in Math courses, the use of calculators is prohibited, so you should get used to it at an early stage).

From what I've seen in the past papers, I think examiners to expect you do plug definite integrals into your calculator when you get the chance - otherwise they will ask you do evaluate an indefinite one, or specifically state to show your working. If I get the chance, I would just use the GDC (and write that you used it next to the answer), it's not uncommon for them to throw in integrals that you can't actually solve (or would take 15-20 mins to do so) for you to feed into your GDC.

Edited by ctrls
  • Like 2