Things We Must Know for May 2014 Math SL Exam

John Clear

Hi! so quick question, for our Math SL Exam approaching, are we expected to know or have an understanding of the following:

a) vector intersection with PLANES

b) cross product for vectors (intersection of three lines)

c) compound angle/ half angle forumlaes (trig)

I ask because i haven't seen these yet in any exams from 2009 to the Specimen Papers this year, and they werent specifically mentioned in the curriculum changes report.

If anyone else has any other inquiries about what else we need to know, post below and id be glad to help out!

sounds about right! anyone know about permutations too? i've seen combinations, but not permutations, in pretty much all exams from 2009 to the Specimen papers this year, including all time zones lol.

Nope I just checked permutations aren't in it !

Have you guys done the specimen paper ? The interpolation questions :/ ??

Not required:

formal treatment of permutations and formula
for n
r P .

yesss lol. and uhm yeah ive done it. that question had me stumped too.. i went back to my textbook though and saw that it was a little section/ key point which discussed interpolation vs. extrapolation.. never went through it in class but seems like a concept simple enough. if you'd like, i could PM you the excerpt.

Edited by John Clear
  • Like 1

what is the thing on interpolation? throughout the whole 2 years i've never heard it discussed in class at all...

hope the questions are going to be okay tmr! i hate the ones that ask you to determine the sequence for f(x) in terms of x and n...

No permutations or complex vector stuff are going to be asked. The questions that you can get are finding intersection of two lines and determining the angle between them (dot product).

Your Ib grades are truly phenomenal well done !

I'm simply hoping to pass at this stage haha !

Also you know the simultaneous equation solver app on the GDC is that allowed in exams ??

No permutations or complex vector stuff are going to be asked. The questions that you can get are finding intersection of two lines and determining the angle between them (dot product).

Your Ib grades are truly phenomenal well done !

I'm simply hoping to pass at this stage haha !

Also you know the simultaneous equation solver app on the GDC is that allowed in exams ??

I think it is, I had a CASIO calculator (I forgot the model) which had the equation solver already implemented in it, so I doubt if they would penalize you for having that program. The most that they can ask you is finding the solution of a system Ax = b where A is a 2x2 matrix.

Our teacher told us inequalities rarely show up in Paper 1 type questions, but could come up with Paper 2 for statistics/probability. Just make sure you know how to use your GDC for those :)

oh as in "P(X<x)=0.45 and find x" or like "P(X<5)=y and find y"? that stuff's not bad at all!

what is the thing on interpolation? throughout the whole 2 years i've never heard it discussed in class at all...

hope the questions are going to be okay tmr! i hate the ones that ask you to determine the sequence for f(x) in terms of x and n...

yeah i absolutely hated that factorial question in the specimen paper. interpolation is basically when you look at the bounds given, and you are finding a data piece within it. so if im running at 2km/ hour, finding how much ive ran in half an hour is interpolation. extrapolation is extending outside of the bounds given, and is therefore not as accurate or precise. so that would be like finding how much i've ran in 20 hours, which wouldn't be a good representation from the model or equation or function or graph given, as other factors phase in (fatigue, etc.). Hope that helps!

is superannuation like compound interest going to come?

judging by the fact that we didn't even cover WHAT that is in class, and it hasn't showed up through any of the exams since 2009, and it's not on the syllabus i'm going to say no.... but feel free to correct me if anyone else knows better!