Biology HL TZ2 paper 3

CaptainCook

EAAASSSEE MODE!!! I had studied all day and night, and i was prepared for the worst! but BOOM! it had all the right questions, and the one about the ant... I had done a bio lab about ants and locating food, which i did extensive research on and also got top marks on, so i knew all about it.

it was perf!

• Like 1

although i messed up, i was done like 15 minutes before, so i checked my answers, but then when i left the room i suddenly realized i had done a terrible mistake, when measuring the distance the ant had traveled, i used my coincidincally 100% correct sized pen cap, to measure the 20cm incremenets, and i was like ou i fit 2 and a half of my pen cap half of my pen cap =5 yep 45, im a genious, move along. left the room, it struck me, 20/2 = 10.... NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought it wasn't bad but I do NOT like data response and I'm usually bad at it:/

I did option G and H and the 6 mark question on option G was a rainforest conservation one and I was sooooo happy about that!

BUT i wasn't too happy about the Bohr shift:/ I would have preferred something about the liver-_-

Anyone taking option H, what did you write for the Bohr shift?

I thought it wasn't bad but I do NOT like data response and I'm usually bad at it:/

I did option G and H and the 6 mark question on option G was a rainforest conservation one and I was sooooo happy about that!

BUT i wasn't too happy about the Bohr shift:/ I would have preferred something about the liver-_-

I also did options G and H and I think the paper was quite easy but I was surprised that the Bohr Shift came up. It was a 6 mark quesion and in the revision guide there's literally only like a sentence about it. I just wrote about CO2 concentration increasing in respiring tissies and pH falling so hemoglobin releases oxgen.

I also did options G and H and I think the paper was quite easy but I was surprised that the Bohr Shift came up. It was a 6 mark quesion and in the revision guide there's literally only like a sentence about it. I just wrote about CO2 concentration increasing in respiring tissies and pH falling so hemoglobin releases oxgen.

I read the other options, and i looked at the evolution chapter, thought, meh not to bad, microbes chapter always looked difficult, looked at chapter H and i saw the Bohr Shift question and i though lol, im glad all i have to answer is brain scans and rainforest conservation. Like, the conservation of the rainforest, was the one thing i knew 100% and exsitu and insitu conservation, those were the two things i had revised hardcore, and for E, I had also been reading about the bird song template which i didnt really know prior to my 1 day berfore studying. Got really lucky on that one.

When metabolism is increased, there's higher concentration of CO2 and lactic acid in the blood, and consequently the pH of the blood decreases. Hemoglobin acts as buffer and absorbs H+ ions, which decreases hemoglobin's affinity for oxygen and the Bohr shift promotes the release of oxygen to the respiring tissue. Thus, the curve shifts to the right. I also drew the graph but I don't think it will be enough to get 6 points.

I did D and E, they're were both so easy, felt great! Both the 6 point questions were quite nice as well!

The ones who did E, what did you answer about how the ant found home? I talked about pheromones..

i just randomly wrote innate behavior..

Edited by vineet777
  • Like 1

I

I did D and E, they're were both so easy, felt great! Both the 6 point questions were quite nice as well!

The ones who did E, what did you answer about how the ant found home? I talked about pheromones..

I mentioned pheromones as well and some kind of sensors.

What did you say about the other ants knowing where to find food ? communication ?

I

I mentioned pheromones as well and some kind of sensors.

What did you say about the other ants knowing where to find food ? communication ?

communication+positive chemotaxis (the chemotaxis one may not be true)

When metabolism is increased, there's higher concentration of CO2 and lactic acid in the blood, and consequently the pH of the blood decreases. Hemoglobin acts as buffer and absorbs H+ ions, which decreases hemoglobin's affinity for oxygen and the Bohr shift promotes the release of oxygen to the respiring tissue. Thus, the curve shifts to the right. I also drew the graph but I don't think it will be enough to get 6 points.

I wrote about the whole CO2 concentration rise but I forgot to mention pH :/ but I drew the graph and talked about how the curve shifts to the right aswell! Hope that gets me some marks:/

I wrote about the whole CO2 concentration rise but I forgot to mention pH :/ but I drew the graph and talked about how the curve shifts to the right aswell! Hope that gets me some marks:/

I wrote how it normally behaves, how CO2 concentration is connected to changes in pH, about the oxygen affinity to hemoglobin, cooperative binding and I draw hemoglobin dissociation curve before and after Bohr shift

I wrote 'scent-markers' for the ant question on how they found their way home. Did Option G and E and was so happy, the questions were so nice and easy :D With the experimentation one, I thought you only had to mention the pros and cons of animal experimentation? Since Lesions and fMRIs aren't technically experiments :/

I messed up that question, I talked about the shift to the lift which is an adaptation in animals living in high altitudes as their haemoglobin will have a higher affinity for oxygen because oxygen levels are lower at high altitudes in comparison to sea level :( maybe i'll get a mark or two for mentioning the shape of the graph and that heamoglobin's affinity for oxygen increases with each O2 molecule, but I'm so annoyed at myself because I had my notes before the exam and I didn't read them :/

I did E and H, did anyone else find the data analysis for H really weird? I didn't get what they wanted me to say in the last question about analysing the effect of the different types of milk on the baby. The rest was fine though.

yeah I didn't really know what to say and as far as I remember I said that the human milk is better because more fat is absorbed but I've no idea if that's the correct answer

I wrote 'scent-markers' for the ant question on how they found their way home. Did Option G and E and was so happy, the questions were so nice and easy :D With the experimentation one, I thought you only had to mention the pros and cons of animal experimentation? Since Lesions and fMRIs aren't technically experiments :/

I wrote about all 3 because they're all listed as experiments in the syllabus and there wasn't really enough on animal experimentation for 6 marks

I did E and H, did anyone else find the data analysis for H really weird? I didn't get what they wanted me to say in the last question about analysing the effect of the different types of milk on the baby. The rest was fine though.

yeah I didn't really know what to say and as far as I remember I said that the human milk is better because more fat is absorbed but I've no idea if that's the correct answer

I think I wrote something similar, I talked about the babies needing more bile salts to digest cow's milk but it was still less efficient than human milk.