Math SL paper 1 TZ2

Surya Tej

Did anyone else get square root of 12 on the last question? Heard really varied results on it.

Also does anyone know the positions of the derivatives and f(x) values that we had to place in order from lowest to greatest?

f(0)<f'(x)<f''(-2). I can't remember what x was for the derivative but I'm very certain that that's the correct answer.

Safe to say, I messed up on that one, my brain wasn't functioning properly then (started with section B).

Ah well, aiming for that 5.

Guest Arisa Morgan

Did anyone else get square root of 12 on the last question? Heard really varied results on it.

Also does anyone know the positions of the derivatives and f(x) values that we had to place in order from lowest to greatest?

f(0)<f'(x)<f''(-2). I can't remember what x was for the derivative but I'm very certain that that's the correct answer.

• Like 1

There was this one question about sequences that im still not sure about. Did guys find the value of k?

hi :) i did that at first, but i realised it wasnt an integer. so basically i dont think you need to. since you had s2 you know that u2 is s2 - u1

did you do that? and what did all of you write for the general expression? i just added the arithmetic sequence with u1=1 d=3 to the geometric one with u1=k r=2 or sth

Safe to say, I messed up on that one, my brain wasn't functioning properly then (started with section B).

i wrote it the other way around because f''(-2) was negative? since f'(x) was decreasing so i had f(-2)<F'(6)<f(0)

There was this one question about sequences that im still not sure about. Did guys find the value of k?

hi :) i did that at first, but i realised it wasnt an integer. so basically i dont think you need to. since you had s2 you know that u2 is s2 - u1

did you do that? and what did all of you write for the general expression? i just added the arithmetic sequence with u1=1 d=3 to the geometric one with u1=k r=2 or sth

i wrote it the other way around because f''(-2) was negative? since f'(x) was decreasing so i had f(-2)<F'(6)<f(0)

yeah I found d = 3 and k = 0 so u1 = 1

Guest Arisa Morgan

Right right right sorry :P it should be the other way round, my brain must be a little frazzled from the paper 2 today.

It was good overall especially section B :P , One question how do you find the gradient of vector (3,2), is it simply square root (3^2) + (2^2). The second vector question, for the duration of time between Jake's and Rayan's airplanes, was it 3 sec:P .... For question 10 last sub question, where they asked you to find the upper limit q. I felt so stupid, instead of using the area ln(7) i used (7), but i have shown ALL of the methods to get q, how many marks out of 7 can i get? Thanks

What was the gradient for the parallel vector pair?

It was good overall especially section B :P , One question how do you find the gradient of vector (3,2), is it simply square root (3^2) + (2^2). The second vector question, for the duration of time between Jake's and Rayan's airplanes, was it 3 sec:P .... For question 10 last sub question, where they asked you to find the upper limit q. I felt so stupid, instead of using the area ln(7) i used (7), but i have shown ALL of the methods to get q, how many marks out of 7 can i get? Thanks

I found the gradient was 2/3

Edited by parisiennegirl96
  • Like 2

I found the gradient as 2/3 too, as gradient is change in y over change in x :) Yeah it was 3 seconds for Jack and Ryan's aeroplanes :)

I don't know about the last question, I've had 3 exams since this paper and haven't really dwelled on it much!

• Like 3

I found square root of 65

Yeah! Got that too! You had to know a lot of stuff for that question. If you didn't get the U-Substitution earlier, you weren't going to get it.

• Like 1

I found the gradient as 2/3 too, as gradient is change in y over change in x :) Yeah it was 3 seconds for Jack and Ryan's aeroplanes :)

I don't know about the last question, I've had 3 exams since this paper and haven't really dwelled on it much!

YES!!! I Wasn't sure about that question. I found the time that it took each plane to reach a height of 20, and I subtracted 7 and 4!!!

• Like 1

YES!!! I Wasn't sure about that question. I found the time that it took each plane to reach a height of 20, and I subtracted 7 and 4!!!

I equated them both to the collision point, found s and t and then found the difference :)

• Like 2

I equated them both to the collision point, found s and t and then found the difference :)

same here! what did you find for the height of plane after 2 sec. (it was the second question of exercise 9)

• Like 1

same here! what did you find for the height of plane after 2 sec. (it was the second question of exercise 9)

I subtracted 7 and 4, So I got 3 seconds. and th height of the plane after two seconds I believe I got 10, if my memory serves.

• Like 1

I got 3 seconds and 2/3 as well.

However, the paper was hard in the sense that I managed to make really stupid mistakes and messed up a lot of questions...and the IB won't give you points if you substituted the wrong numbers, but calculated everything right, right? ;(

• Like 1

I got 3 seconds and 2/3 as well.

However, the paper was hard in the sense that I managed to make really stupid mistakes and messed up a lot of questions...and the IB won't give you points if you substituted the wrong numbers, but calculated everything right, right? ;(

Well, if you actually did make a mistake, and you showed working, you can get a mark for correct reasoning, as well as the godsend of error carrying. That saved my ass in more than one past paper.

• Like 1