7th subject IB Music too much?

BeginnerIB

I'm a sophomore going into the IB at my private high school (all Ib) and am taking:

Lang & Lit SL

B-spanish SL

Psychology SL

Biology HL

Math HL

Physics HL

At my school all classes are taught at higher level in 11th grade so I could change my higher levels if i want, but I am in the process of trying to add 7th subject IB Music as well.I am a very good student with straight A's and love science and math. Also I'm a very musical student (Play percussion, piano, guitar) Play in every music group on campus and have gone to many band competitions solo and ensemble. I am wondering whether the workload is too much. I would love to hear from anybody who has taken 7th subject music and what their experience was.

Edited by BeginnerIB

I'm also taking IB next year! If I were in your case I would never throw another subject in there. Not just because it's an extra subject so it'll be hard, but also because you're doing HL Bio, Math, and Physics- which will all combine to be very time consuming, based on what I have heard. On top of this, the 3 SL's and the extra music course (if you throw it in there) will be tooo much. Just my two cents.

What are you planning to go into? If it's a science-related field, you may need Chemistry - generally, most take Physics and Chem or Bio and Chem for the reason that most biological or human programs require biology and chemistry whereas most engineering related programs require physics and chemistry. Will you be getting a chem course elsewhere? If not, this is something you should keep in mind.

IB Music is extremely tough. If you really want to do it, consider swapping another of your subjects for it. One boy in my year did Music SL, and he had to compose 2 pieces of music of his own and then play them. It is not going to be a fun ride as a 7th subject. As sameera95 says, you'd be better off doing music for CAS hours if you love music. With your subject combination, particularly your highers, you will not want the extra work it will need.

TL;DR: Don't do it :P

• Like 1

I'm a sophomore going into the IB at my private high school (all Ib) and am taking:

Lang & Lit SL

B-spanish SL

Psychology SL

Biology HL

Math HL

Physics HL

At my school all classes are taught at higher level in 11th grade so I could change my higher levels if i want, but I am in the process of trying to add 7th subject IB Music as well.I am a very good student with straight A's and love science and math. Also I'm a very musical student (Play percussion, piano, guitar) Play in every music group on campus and have gone to many band competitions solo and ensemble. I am wondering whether the workload is too much. I would love to hear from anybody who has taken 7th subject music and what their experience was.

Those HLs you have in mind are not easy ones, so unless you actually see yourself doing something with music later in life, I'd recommend you drop the idea.

Don't let someone tell you you can't do something, because it just means that they can't do it. If you want to do it, do it. If it gets too much work, then drop it.

If you never try it you will never know if you could have done it, and then you will regret trying.

If you try it you have nothing to lose.

You should do music! It's a really fun class. There is a group performance option, so for me I didn't need to do anything outside of what I normally do. In the class though, you learn about all the different types of world music and then go through the different eras in classical eras. All the way from Gregorian chant to modernism. I took Music HL, but I would only do this if you are serious about music, as three compositions and solo performance are required. But SL is a great option. It was probably my favorite class that I took in IB. Having hard HLs, you need a class that is fun :)

Your HL subject choice is interesting, just because I've never met anyone who chose to do HL bio and physics. Everyone who takes double science in my year usually do bio chem or physics chem.

Yeah I agree with those you have mentioned it before - don't take a 7th subject just because you love it. Of course it may be less workload and less pressure because you're good at it, but with the workload you'll get over the 2 years, it'll add to your already overflowing schedule towards the end of the year. Believe me - I didn't start revising until study leave actually started!! Don't even get me started on mocks; that was during university applications time as well!

Music is my passion too, and I had an argument with my parents over wanting to swap it for one of my humanities subjects because I take double. In the end I didn't because my future career doesn't require it at all - it was just my passion. So I chose to do it for cas - my cas project actually - and I don't regret it at all. It actually succeeded far beyond my expectations.

So I believe you'll find a way around to incorporating music in your IB life even if you don't choose to take it as an actual subject. After all, there's more than one way to show your passion for it without actually academically studying it!

Edited by Chio1012

Some of my good friends in IB are taking music and they find it super easy/manageable. The only trouble I can think of would be composing, but it seems like you have enough of a background in music that it wouldn't be a problem for you.

That said, depending on what your CAS coordinator would accept, it might be a good idea to use music for CAS hours. I don't think that my CAS coordinator would allow it since it's something you already do, but depending on what activities you submitted, your coordinator might see it differently.