Language A: Lit self-study HL?

Avril

Though I am a native of Romania, I've lived in the US for most of my life and have never formally studied the language (though I am fluent), which I would like to do via a self-study.

However, I've read on some websites that if you're doing a self-study of a language in group 1--even if it is your native language--you can only take it as an SL course. Obviously, I'd much rather do an HL, since in this case I find doing an SL sort of pointless.

Seeing as I can't find any official IB article or whatever explaining this, I though I'd ask you guys:

Is this true--that you can only take the SL examination if you're doing a self-study--and if so, is there any way to bypass this regulation?

MY IB coordinator thinks this is possible, but she didn't sound very sure. I'd like to know without doubt before I commit to doing this, seeing as it'll affect how many HL/SL classes I'll be taking.

Thanks.

Wait also, will I still be able to complete a bilingual diploma if I take English Lang at the HL and Romanian Lit at the SL??

Yes, you would still get a bilingual diploma. Another way to get one is to do your Group 3 or 4 subject (humanities and science) in a language different from that of your Group 1 language.

• 4 years later...

Hey Avril,

I am a Romanian student that currently does the MYP, following the DP programme from next year. I am now on the verge of submitting the final subject package. My English teacher suggests that I take English B HL and I will then have to take Romanian A literature self-taught SL. That ain't a problem, as I lived in Romania for 14 years. I moved to an IB school in the Netherlands 2 years ago. I would, however, want to know more about how Romanian self-taught is like and if there is anything you coult tell me about it, as I don't know much about it. It would be a huge help.